Digitalized music causing stress??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To be fair, I decided to read a bit of Mr. Diamond's website and give him a fair chance. I didn't get very far. :rolleyes:

Perhaps the most obvious example of this is the fact that at the age of seventy, when some 50% of American males are already dead, some 80% of musical conductors are still alive, healthy, and productive.

As I said, I didn't get far. Anyone who would use statistics in this manner is obviously pushing an agenda, selling a product, or simply an idiot, any of which disqualifies him/her from be a reliable source of information (and all might well apply to Mr. Diamond).

In case my objection isn't obvious, I'll outline it. Most deaths occur at either a young age or an old age. Duh. Your chances of living to be twenty increase greatly once you reach an age of two or three. Your chances of living to be seventy increase once you reach an age of twenty. Statistically, you don't stand much chance of living to be ninety-five, but if you've already made it to ninety your chances are actually pretty decent. Seems pretty obvious, right?

So in his "example", the group of "American males" includes plenty of deaths of infants, children, teens, etc., of which there are a lot of, even in this day and age. The group of "musical conductors" requires an entry age of, what, 25 or so minimum? Therefore, it hardly surprises me that 50% of American males on a whole die before reaching the age of seventy (I have no idea how accurate that is) but 80% reach the age of seventy once they have already reached the age of twenty-five. Wow, what a shocker. I'm convinced that being a conductor is the path to long life and prosperity. No, wait, all I have to do is take "life energy" enhancing supplments.

What a quack. :rolleyes:

RHosch,

Good point. Just that he doesn't do statistics right doesn't mean
the other things must be wrong, but there are a lot of suspicious
things in what he sayd. PCM is bad, bad DSD i OK since it uses
higher sample frequency. Well, what about DVD-A then, isn't that
PCM at a higher sample frequency which at leat theoretically
gives better HF resulution than SACD?

He gives me the impression of riding along on the wave of the
more serious listening therapy people. There are a lot who do
that, trying to make easy money or even think they can cook up
something as good in one or two days. The main reason I bothered
to post was his claims about DBTs and demonstrations to AES,
without much further reference. He also tries to make a more serious
impression by not mentioning his supplement at all in the text.
It appears only in the title and if you click the supplement button.

Edit: Actually many conductors start their career much earlier
than 25, and they have been exposed to music since early childhood,
which is probably what would count, so musicians should have the
same benefit, if there is one.

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
RHosch said:

In case my objection isn't obvious, I'll outline it. Most deaths occur at either a young age or an old age...

.....So in his "example", the group of "American males" includes plenty of deaths of infants, children, teens, etc., of which there are a lot of, even in this day and age...

... but 80% reach the age of seventy once they have already reached the age of twenty-five.....

RHosch:

You are very off the mark in your statistical "debunking" of Dr. Diamond. He is also somewhat off the mark, but he was speaking in general terms. You were speaking more specifically.

I will give you credit for one thing, though. You are correct in pointing out something people should realize, but don't-the longer you live, the higher is the age you are likely to reach before getting tickets to The Great Concert In The Sky. :)

According to year 2000 statistics, at birth the life expectancy of an American male is 74.1 years. At age 20, his life expectancy is 55.2 years-meaning on average he will reach 75.2 years. Only a 1.1 year increase for surviving two decades-that is not much.

I presume similar numbers for most advanced nations, it is just that these were the sites I knew how to get to-I've looked this up before. ;)

That is as it is now. As time goes on, presumably these ages will rise bit by bit.
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/pdf/nvsr51_03t11.pdf

I neither disparage nor support Dr. Diamond's findings, just the statistical analysis this has led to. On the other hand, my advice to people who believe Dr. Diamond is not to tell your friends or family that you are taking "stereo supplements" at twenty-five bucks a batch. :xeye: People have been committed for less.

My New Signature......................

"RN : The danger here is that the more qualified you are, the more you ‘know’ that something can’t be true, so you don’t believe it. Or you ‘know’ a design can’t be done, so you don’t try it. Ignorant idiots like me don’t know it can’t be done, so we have a go and it works. {Laughs}"
Rupert Neve is no idiot, and maybe a few 'experts' around here should take note of his quote.

Myself and others can 'sense' when a cdp is turned on.
Interestingly Philips/Marantz cd players are less disturbing than typical Jap ones.
There are all sorts of new age theories etc about colours, frequencies etc afffecting 'life energies', and maybe CDP sampling frequency is on a 'bad' one.

Also, be aware that speakers radiate an audio modulated magnetic beam in line with the pole-piece straight across the room, and this can be verified with a suitable pickup coil and amplifier.
We have magnetic sensing as do many other creatures.

Eric.

Steve Eddy said:

Placing photographs of yourself in your freezer works too, John. And it doesn't even cost anything. Why haven't you tried that yet?

se

I've been planning on testing the photograph thing for a long time now and somehow never came to really do it. It would be interesting to "hear" the results and I would be really disappointed if I didn't hear any;)

So they can be B&W and should be placed in separate ziplocks or the same one?

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
john curl said:
I have been tested by Dr. Diamond. His method works,

Does that include the supplements? What bothers me is that he goes into no detail about what is in the supplements, how they might work, or anything else.

The other things Diamond said I find not outlandish, though I am hardly in a position to test. But it seems almost irresponsible the way no mention is made of ingredients in his supplements. What about possible interactions with various medications, among so many other things?

Peter Daniel said:
I've been planning on testing the photograph thing for a long time now and somehow never came to really do it. It would be interesting to "hear" the results and I would be really disappointed if I didn't hear any;)

Well ya never know. It's worked for a number of others.

So they can be B&W and should be placed in separate ziplocks or the same one?

I imagine black and white would be ok, given that one of the photos has to be one of yourself when you were a child and the other as an adult. And since a lot of us were children when color photography wasn't so common I'd hate to see so many people left out.

Some of the details are mentioned in this article:

WHAT A MESS!!!! -- An alternative view of reality

Assorted other information can be found here:

P.W.B. Electronics Home Page

And you can read the discussions of others at the Peter Belt Yahoo Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PWB/

se

john curl said:
I have been tested by Dr. Diamond. His method works, but then what do I know? SE and SY are so darn sure, without trying to understand, or test, what Dr. Diamond is all about.

John, since there are several things discussed by Dr. Diamond,
could you please be more specific. Are you referring to his music
therapy, his claimed DBTs of analog vs. digital sound or,
less likely, the so called supplement?

Christer said:
John, since there are several things discussed by Dr. Diamond,
could you please be more specific. Are you referring to his music
therapy, his claimed DBTs of analog vs. digital sound or,
less likely, the so called supplement?

I believe John's referring to Dr. Diamond's "test" which he uses to demonstrate his claim of greater stress produced by digitally recorded music.

Basically it's based on how easy or hard it is to push someone's arms down while they're listening to digital or analogue music. If they're listening to analogue, it's supposedly easier to push their arms down than if they're listening to digital, indicating that the listener is less stressed and more relaxed.

Attempts were made to duplicate his results (which included a tester who was coached by Dr. Diamond himself on the technique) but were unsuccessful.

se

There is more to muscle testing than just that.......

"Basically it's based on how easy or hard it is to push someone's arms down while they're listening to digital or analogue music. If they're listening to analogue, it's supposedly easier to push their arms down than if they're listening to digital, indicating that the listener is less stressed and more relaxed."

From http://www.worldtrans.org/TP/TP2/TP2A-67.HTML

.........."Basically, strong means "Yes" and weak means "No". Whether a Yes or a No answer is most desirable depends on what we ask for, but most often we will ask in such a way that a strong response is good. As in "Do you feel good about yourself" - Test - should be strong, meaning "Yes"...............

I have seen muscle testing work accurately.

Eric.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.