Source, Pre-amp, and Amp for ZRT 2 way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey!

I've been lurking around here and several other sites trying to gain an understanding of how to build a reasonable 2.1 stereo system. based on my research I have purchased the Zaph audio ZRT 2 way revelator kit from Madisound, I am in the process of getting a large bookshelf enclosure designed for them that allows for an extended bass shelf when compared to the standard sealed 2 way configuration, but at a size that is less than that of the floor standing 2-way.

I am still waiting on the designs (getting them done by Peter Kulicki from PWK designs), once received I will be building the enclosures myself. Currently, I am trying establish the rest of my supporting equipment. Though i have a good idea of what I ultimately would like to get, I will be purchasing items over a period of time and would like to have something to listen to as soon as possible, even though it may not be with my final equipment list.

This system will be used primarily for listening to music, though it will also be used when watching movies. My plan down the road is to use these bookshelf units as rear/side channels in a 7.1 system, with ZRT 2.5 ways acting as the new front channels (this is a long way off though).

So here is where I am at with my component list. Feel free to offer any suggestions, but my research has led me to these and for the money they seem to be decent, also, I can purchase them through my local stereo shop.

Source: Oppo BDP-105

Pre Amplifier: Parasound Halo P5

Amp: Parasound Halo A23

Sub: JL 13 W7 (car audio version, already have)

Sub Amp: undecided (Emotiva XPR-1, Crown EP2500....)

My plan as of right now is to build this setup in stages that allow for the use of these speakers as soon as possible and then add the remaining items in an order that seems to make the most sense.

So i might be way off with this, and do let me know if I am, but here it goes:

Start off with the Oppo source and the Parasound A23 Amp with an Emotiva Control Freak (with balanced connections) used as the Volume adjustement.

This should give me the ability to listen to the system in 2 channel mode (no sub), and give me a taste of what all my hard earned money and labor has produced.

When the funding is available, purchase the parasound P5 (with additional XLR cables of course), and integrate into the system.

Once the Parasound Pre Amp is integrated I will have the ability to add more sources easily (though i cant think of too much that the oppo doesn't do) as well as give me the option to add the subwoofer into the mix, and with high pass and low pass controls for easier integration with the main speakers. The sub implementation is still a ways out, and I am hoping that the large bookshelf units will be very satisfying on all but the lowest frequencies for what I will be using them for.

The sub I eventually plan on using is a JL 13W7, I already have this speaker and plan on having Peter from PWK design me another enclosure for use in this system. The trouble is finding an amp that will provide 1500W at 3 ohm, i have seen people using crowns with good results, and perhaps this is the best route, though I am hesitant to use them due to some of the complaints that I have heard about fan noise. The Emotive XPR-1 seems like it may be a good option, but i have not verified if the amp is 3 ohm stable, and also having a 20 Amp outlet installed is a bit of a hassle.

Sorry for the rather long winded post, the main thing I am interested in hearing back on is whether my planned attack of purchasing the Oppo source and Parasound Amp first is sound and will give satisfactory results. I would LOVE to buy all of these items at the same time, but i just don't see that happening in the near future and would prefer to have something to listen to. I am also open to component suggestions that may offer a better cost to performance ratio, while I am not apposed to spending money on quality components, my basic understanding of these items leads me to believe that spending an exorbitant amount on these items will not result in audible differences in the way that they sound.

Thanks to anyone who reads through the above and decides that it is worth their time to help me out with a question!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.