Component audibility. Fact or fiction ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At the moment I'm using just a desktop PC, with old Harman plastic monitor speakers for doing these exercises. These are good enough for the comparisons, though they have zero bass below 100Hz and limited maximum average volumes, because of the size of their inbuilt power supplies.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Actually, I'm running the track on repeat, and the more I listen to it the better I feel it is for testing, the high frequency and low level content is near ideal for sorting out the finer aspects - you should be able to run this at deafening levels, and get more out of it each time ...

Great :) I'm not 100% sure but I suspected I could hear " tape breakthrough" on this one at the beginning. Whatever, its on the master.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
One thing I'd point out Mooley, is that your track is apparently 48kHz, which clearly isn't native to the CD it is on. Maybe this is why you're getting a spike at high frequencies, if some processing somewhere is going on.

The spike is odd and I have no answer to that. All I could prove was that it appeared on the Supertramp disc only. Other discs didn't show any hint of it.

However... if I record "silence" on an old Acer laptop I see the same spike (but at much higher amplitude). That the numbers (the 19.2kHz) are the "same" and that the original CD when ripped (so no A/D) shows this "same" frequency is bizarre to me.

Jay's not using anything dramatically better, much of the time. There's quite a bit of history, for me, of having fiddled in various areas to optimise small things, which all count - I know precisely what I need to do get a certain standard of sound out of the gear; a procedure to follow each time. If I was sloppy with it, like a normal user would be with computer sound, then it would sound terrible, just like the normal stuff does.

A lot of learning, into finessing what is at hand has occurred over the years - plus, I've learnt to listen deep into the sound, the approach can make all the difference.

15,625Hz is line timebase freq for CCIR (PAL & SECAM) standard definition TV systems. If present it will probably be on older recordings. It is probably caused by radiation from CRT TVs as the flyback pulses are huge. Flat screens do not produce significant energy in the audio band.

Although the repetition rate is 15,625Hz there is also a lot of energy at around 1MHz, well out of the audio band. I have no idea where 19KHz comes from.

Jay's not using anything dramatically better, much of the time.

As long as we can hear differences, there's no problem with cheap stuff.

Remember when Mooly prepared MP3 and WAV, I downloaded the MP3 only because I was sure it was sufficient for me to hear differences (and I'm 99% sure that better files or equipments will not change preferences). And I listened almost always in MONO. Only when I critically decided to choose the best one between DIRECT and OPA2134 I downloaded WAV and I listened in STEREO (because in one of my blind test notes, I wrote my preference to OPA2134 instead of DIRECT (which was preferred many times, so I needed to be sure).

But don't forget how I often mentioned how good my speaker is ;) I have mentioned how I had to bring my Sennheiser when the test got harder, and how my speaker was even better and would outperform $300 headphones.

I would prefer [TDA2030A + My speaker] than [best amp + ordinary speaker].

I have mentioned that speaker is the weakest link and the heart of any audio system at high level (At low level, amplifier could be more important).

I still haven't used STEREO yet. Not to mention TOP amplifications.

So far my result is 100% as confirmed by ABX. Unfortunately we haven't got perfectly controlled test to prove anything yet.

ADD: Also, it was the first time I couldn't hear difference between test files (Mooly's A and B files), though I could get better ABX than Pavel (but too bad compared to my usual result). And it was using relatively good Dynaudio speaker. When I changed the speaker the next day, I could hear OBVIOUS difference (not sure because of the speaker or me in better physical health).

Last edited:
Jay's not using anything dramatically better, much of the time. There's quite a bit of history, for me, of having fiddled in various areas to optimise small things, which all count - I know precisely what I need to do get a certain standard of sound out of the gear; a procedure to follow each time. If I was sloppy with it, like a normal user would be with computer sound, then it would sound terrible, just like the normal stuff does.

A lot of learning, into finessing what is at hand has occurred over the years - plus, I've learnt to listen deep into the sound, the approach can make all the difference.
fas,
I really don't know what to say. Having spent a bit more for reasonable quality drivers for active three way speakers, are you suggesting that I've wasted my money because some plastic PC speakers are all I'll ever need? I don't know how to say this without seeming offensive but can I take any of your prognostications at all seriously?

Your views may be deeply held, however, the circumstances of their forming don't lead to a great deal of confidence.

As long as we can hear differences, there's no problem with cheap stuff.
See above.

Ths isn't about any audiophoollery snobbery, but rather about constitutes a reasonable term of reference. I don't have SS or SEAS top line drivers but SB Acoustics, Peerless, and Vifa tweeters but, at least, I know they are semi-reasonable. I also know my perceptions are very fallible (like every other human on the planet) so I understand the things I think I may hear may just be me kidding myself.

Abs

Abs

Jay. What do think to the track in post #1 ? You need to listen on the best you have.

I didn't quite understand your intention with the file (I haven't downloaded). If you mean whether it is suitable for test, I think you already know the answer. I have never done file analysis so I don't understand that point of view but if you ask me specific music that can tell difference, I need music that has "rythm" or something. I cannot say it, but it should make your body move, tapping your toe. Because when there is phase error or something, the quality of the "rythme" will get worse and non musical (one instrument too delayed, no "pitch control" between vocal and instruments).

Voice is also a must, because we all familiar with human voice more than musical instruments (to judge tonality or naturalness).

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I didn't quite understand your intention with the file (I haven't downloaded). If you mean whether it is suitable for test, I think you already know the answer. I have never done file analysis so I don't understand that point of view but if you ask me specific music that can tell difference, I need music that has "rythm" or something. I cannot say it, but it should make your body move, tapping your toe. Because when there is phase error or something, the quality of the "rythme" will get worse and non musical (one instrument too delayed, no "pitch control" between vocal and instruments).

Voice is also a must, because we all familiar with human voice more than musical instruments (to judge tonality or naturalness).

OK :) Just for interest give me an example of something that you might use to test equipment. Does it have to be acoustic... I don't listen to much modern stuff tbh :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.