Go Back   Home > Forums > >

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

ULTIMATE OPAMP SHOOTOUT... Where you get to decide.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
View Poll Results: Which opamp do you prefer the sonics of ?
Apple 2 5.00%
Banana 7 17.50%
Damson 1 2.50%
Kiwi 1 2.50%
Orange 6 15.00%
Peach 6 15.00%
Pear 3 7.50%
Pomegranate 11 27.50%
Raison 2 5.00%
Satsuma 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th November 2013, 06:27 AM   #21
mcandmar is offline mcandmar  Ireland
diyAudio Member

I'm finding this a lot more difficult than i expected, the first pass i made notes on my inital impressions, same for the second pass then compaired them to find i had basically contracticted myself. I'm still not 100% convinced your not trolling us
Old 8th November 2013, 06:39 AM   #22
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Keep on listening I mean, how hard can it be to pick a 741 from an LM4562 or an OPA134.
Old 8th November 2013, 07:37 AM   #23
diyAudio Moderator

OK, we have another poll where you can add a vote for the worst opamp too,

Click here to vote for the WORST sounding opamp

A link to this has been added to the top of the first post
Old 8th November 2013, 07:45 AM   #24
Jay is offline Jay  Indonesia
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandmar View Post
I'm finding this a lot more difficult than i expected, the first pass i made notes on my inital impressions, same for the second pass then compaired them to find i had basically contracticted myself. I'm still not 100% convinced your not trolling us
It IS difficult. I have tried something similar a long time ago with AKG headphone. My conclusion was that the source and the system was not good enough for me to be able to find out which one was best.

I think I need a criteria, but there are many possibilities. A calm sound may be relaxing but it is not transparent. Dynamic is another criteria. I have download the MP3s and listened to 7 of them quickly (only the beginning 20% of the files) with a $5 headphone, and I prefer the banana.

I will bring the files home tonight and listen through my speaker. My speaker is quite capable of showing details. High dynamic contrast is possible with my speaker. Cymbals, drums and such. I'm curious because I have no expectation. My only expectation is that they all will sound terrible
Old 8th November 2013, 11:28 AM   #25
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
I mean, how hard can it be to pick a 741 from an LM4562 or an OPA134.
It could be very difficult, if you are doing playback thru a couple of 741s.
But finding the original should not be difficult - it should stand out from all the rest.
Old 8th November 2013, 11:30 AM   #26
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliphant View Post
Once the big reveal has occurred can we please see some waveforms for each?
A 20kHz square wave would be great just to see if there is any difference in stability.
Why wait

Here is the 741 vs one of the others. 20kHz and 6 volts peak to peak output (which is actually a little below the Marantz max output).

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 8th November 2013, 11:32 AM   #27
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
It could be very difficult, if you are doing playback thru a couple of 741s.
But finding the original should not be difficult - it should stand out from all the rest.
Well, you would think so When you see how "poor" the 741 is then surely it must stand out by a country mile
Old 8th November 2013, 11:51 AM   #28
CFT is offline CFT  United States
diyAudio Member

Hmm...from my headphone with the mp3s I could only detect one single file being superior..rest quite similiar...
1)sdtrans384+syncDAC,SBT+Audial ModelS,Soekris, pono/MJ player.2)PTT2s/26/01A Pre;42,45SE,45PP, Audiogd C39,Wiener,GC/composite,Satri,VFET pre/SE/ PP. 3)Lxmini;EMI 319+AMT; JensenSG300;Coral Flat5, Sony holey,Zenith,Rullit fieldcoil.CDhorn+2”FRs+Altec Madera.
Old 8th November 2013, 12:33 PM   #29
CFT is offline CFT  United States
diyAudio Member

Are you pondering what I am pondering....
1)sdtrans384+syncDAC,SBT+Audial ModelS,Soekris, pono/MJ player.2)PTT2s/26/01A Pre;42,45SE,45PP, Audiogd C39,Wiener,GC/composite,Satri,VFET pre/SE/ PP. 3)Lxmini;EMI 319+AMT; JensenSG300;Coral Flat5, Sony holey,Zenith,Rullit fieldcoil.CDhorn+2”FRs+Altec Madera.
Old 8th November 2013, 12:52 PM   #30
bear is offline bear
diyAudio Member

I have not yet listened.

But in the past I received an ABX disc from a certain un-named "famous" ABX advocate. Quite correctly he claimed that you could not hear the difference between the DUTs. In this case he had messed with the bit depth, iirc. The reason was essentially in the selection of the source (music) that he had picked. That selection was such that differences would be readily masked.

In an odd way it was a funny experience.

Along these lines I have an instrumental cut by Pierre Bensusan which is eery, no matter what you play it on, it just sounds tremendous. Truly. It's almost impossible to play this back and make it sound bad. So, a great choice for impressing visitors, but a terrible choice for hearing flaws or limitations in my system.

Just a thought.

_-_-

ULTIMATE OPAMP SHOOTOUT... Where you get to decide.Hide this!Advertise here!