Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

I have a feeling my first active loudspeaker will mean the last time I build passive
I have a feeling my first active loudspeaker will mean the last time I build passive
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2013, 05:11 PM   #1
mondogenerator is offline mondogenerator  England
diyAudio Member

Default I have a feeling my first active loudspeaker will mean the last time I build passive

Up until recently i had only thought about active filter design, a pipe dream if you will. It was always an interest, something I'd do someday. I've been the same with chip amps.

It must have something to do with my ability to dream up new projects before I've finished the previous.....

But now I have embarked on a modification of my current reference speakers, from passive to active using basic Sallen Key filters and chip amps.

My problem is that I've ordered a pair each of LM3875, 3876, 3886 and 4780. I'm intending on using the 4780 in parallel for each woofer, and then 3886 for the highs.

Now I'm left with some ICs for other speakers also partially completed.

Argh!

I may have plans for them but I'm trying to focus on one project at a time....SWMBO may not be keen on Alpairs in the bathroom ceiling......
Old 28th September 2013, 05:15 PM   #2
KatieandDad is offline KatieandDad  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'm building a pair of WA Prestige Platinums as active speakers. 3K plus of parts plus the active crossovers and the amps, result NIRVANA.
Old 28th September 2013, 05:49 PM   #3
mondogenerator is offline mondogenerator  England
diyAudio Member

Sounds nice. I haven't checked out Wilmslow in an age.

I'm hoping my little active conversion results in nirvana too ��

If it does ill need to move home, speakers are breeding like bunnies, and if this first attempt in active goes well then the amps will multiply too...

I suppose i could just build 4 stereo amps, and the active crossover on another case...

But then the boxes still multiply. And somehow one case for the lot appeals.

Never could make a decision under zero pressure!

I have a feeling my first active loudspeaker will mean the last time I build passiveHide this!Advertise here!