Fancy Interconnects? How about a potato, or even mud?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I have some pasty that is overcooked.
Is it worth experimenting with?

Oh dear! Would that be when your mains voltage went up :rofl:

It's more difficult than you might think to get a good solder connection on mud or a potato. ;)

Make sure they are King Edwards. Very regal sounding I believe, but if you don't like them then you can always mash them for a cottage pie.

100% organic audio, yes.

The firm does not believe there is a way to exploit the finding.

Oh I have already found a way. Rain or moisture detector. Or unauthorized data transmission where metal wires are not available / not allowed. Maybe develop an antenna out of it too?

...I think I'm starting to understand why our government suppresses the availability of education.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The test was a lot of fun. Not too many people were willing to take the test or post the results.
Here is a summary of the first round:
A= potato left, banana right
B= original file
C= loop with good quality copper cable (Canare GS-6)
D= mud (bucket of mud on left, trough of mud on right)

In the end I can't reliably tell any difference between any of the tracks :confused:
I believe A is the original. Maybe C.
No, I'm staying with A.
Really quickly ran them through my laptop speakers, expecting to hear something different immediately.
I honestly couldn't tell
Initial impressions... and there's not much in it :D so at the risk of making a total plonker of myself,

A) The best with the most consistent imaging and best "hf" detail. Sharply focused image.

B) Generally excellent, with good timbre but image seemed to be biased to the left (very very slightly).

C) This was the one I couldn't pin down. Something about the vocals and the vocal image varying "in height" yet a good overall image.

D) This was the worst with almost a "forced" quality, a poor image and an underlying weird kind of distortion (a coarseness) to the vocals.
...using Sennheiser HD598 headphones via a unity gain headphone amp, I'm surprised I could hear much difference at all. But version A was clearly better.
Listening through Sony MDR-1R on a laptop.
If you held a gun to my head I'd say A and D were a little dull, but the difference is so minor it could be psychological
Nice set of files, Pano ... pretty obvious, C is the original - on a quick listen with Audacity, on the PC speakers. All the others are degraded to some degree, interesting how much the straight DA/AD loop damaged the sound so much ...
A - copper
B - mud
D - food
I'd bet C is the conversion loop, B is the original.

Review:
Mooly
A: Best
B: Excellent
C: Hard to pin down
D: Worst

Dirkwright
A: Best (original)

fas42
A: copper
B: mud
C: original
D: food

nanoo
B: original
C: copper

Scott17
A: original

wintermute
can't tell the difference
Preliminary listen... can't tell any difference (yet) except for D having those glitches where it cuts out briefly. I'm guessing potato/banana on that.
Pano, great idea, great fun, first couple of runs on my computer system did not reveal any obvious differences.
I'm sure you can get a difference in DiffMaker (the flac files should convert easily), the more interesting question is whether or not you can actually hear a difference. After all, if there's night and day audible differences between copper and silver or PVC and Teflon, you'd think that banana/potato vs copper or mud ought to be blatantly evident.
Well. I'm fooled. If I had to call it, I'd say D was the original, but I strongly suspect that is just me kidding myself.

I could convince myself that any one of those are the originals.
Today, first think after waking up, before coffee, was listening to the flac files through AKG240 headphones.
Initially I said A,D,C,B in terms of presence.
After the second listening, I wasn’t sure for the order of difference.
Then I listened to them many times in random order. I can’t say there is a difference, let alone any order.
The more I listen to them, the more I can’t tell one from the other (except through the glitch on D)
A - CD
B - mud
C - potato
D - copper

A few did a pretty good job, but no one said it was glaringly obvious. Molly is usually good at these tests.
Considering the mediums used and all the digital fixing I had to do to some of the files, the small differences were surprising.

I will soon reboot this test with a cleaner signal flow that doesn't introduce so much noise. The noise was a big give away in the second round. Coffee, Coke and wine do not make good cables. Mud and vegetables, not too bad.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes. And the even bigger disappointment is that with over 33,000 thread views so few actually took the test and posted results.

Perhaps the test proves that people greatly prefer to talk about cable differences rather than work to find them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.