Fancy Interconnects? How about a potato, or even mud?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm just now catching up on this fascinating, ground-breaking (sorry...) thread!
I'm getting the MP3s. I'm tempted to get the FLAC but I have too hard a time telling the difference between 'real' and 320k to bother.

I'm also posting here so I remember where I was in the thread - I want to hear these before reading responses, and especially before reading a "spoiler" post telling what's what.

One more thing, there's something missing here - what's the input impedance of the AD you're sending this "signal" into?
  • Original from the CD
  • DA/AD loop with normal copper cables (Canare brand)
  • DA/AD loop run thru mud
  • DA/AD loop run thu a potato on the left, a banana on the right
It could be instructive to put a lower resistance at the AD input, to make it more of a resistive divider. Try 10k or 1k - or whatever it takes to make a nominal 3dB drop in signal. This might need a buffer (good headphone amp?) on the AD output to drive the thing.

Some might think this would make it an unfair comparison, but (for a different example) speaker cable has it really bad, a really high current into a really low impedance.

Another thing - if you make more recordings, PLEASE don't tell us which channel is banana and which is potato - I want to see who identifies which is which.

Do try steel wool, too. That kind of furry madness ... zillions of pretty good conductors with really terrible ohmic contacts between them. Ought to be instructive. And of course a pencil. You know, the graphite which historically has been called "lead", though it has been 300 years since real lead was in the pencil.
That's a bit of history I didn't know about pencil lead.

As for graphite, that's a form of carbon, and Alexander Graham Bell's first (and only?) microphone design used a diaphragm vibrating against a small container packed with carbon to get a variable resistance. While it's not in such wide used today, it was the highest quality microphone design at the time (okay, it was the ONLY microphone design).
And what about a waterhose? Good ... long distance conductor, if filled with saline water. Even has an insulator on the outside, making it almost a coax. Hey... there's the answer to the "spaghetti inside a macaroni" coax idea. Spaghetti inside a hose inside a bucket of water.
There was the East-Coast Vs. West-Coast (USA) sound (first it was speakers, then it was rap music), next will be The Itallian Sound! Opera fans will love it!
I'm sure you can get a difference in DiffMaker (the flac files should convert easily), the more interesting question is whether or not you can actually hear a difference. After all, if there's night and day audible differences between copper and silver or PVC and Teflon, you'd think that banana/potato vs copper or mud ought to be blatantly evident.
But, but ... I can hear Them now, with Their Pseudo-Scientific Explanations - this test ONLY confirms that there's little if any difference between copper and these other crude substances - but Gold and Silver just HAVE to be Audibly Better!
Thanks for taking the time to listen. The input impedance of the A/D stage was 20K. There was some attenuation, which was made up for with the input volume control.

The banana had the highest impedance. :)
Aha, an actual value for impedance (I presume the driving output impedance was much lower, low enough to be considered insignificant). That will be helpful when, er, if this experiment is repeated.

I just listened to the MP3s, first at moderate volume (Audiophile 2496 PCI card, old Kenwood amp, Infinity RS-125) and couldn't hear a difference. I switched to my Sony MDR-7506 headphones (not flat, not perfect, but if I am to hear any difference, it would most likely show up through these), cranked it up a good bit, but still heard no difference.

I DID hear the skip in file D at 29 seconds, but I didn't think much of it - I just assumed it was some program running in the background eating up processor cycles. On the other hand, this is a 3GHz quadcore with 8 megs RAM, and I've done a good bit of audio recording and multichannel playback with no glitches while other stuff runs, so I SHOULD have suspected the file.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I think I heard the skips the first time I listened as well and put it down to something on my HT box interfering, it wasn't until I put the headphones on my laptop and played the tracks a few times that I noticed it was always track D, and then I payed more attention and saw it was always at the same spots ;)

I'm still rather amazed that I can hear absolutely no difference between the tracks! it would be interesting to synchronize two and swap between them rather than listening to a whole track and then another, that *might* make it easier to spot a difference...

Tony.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I can hear Them now, with Their Pseudo-Scientific Explanations - this test ONLY confirms that there's little if any difference between copper and these other crude substances - but Gold and Silver just HAVE to be Audibly Better!
Except that I have avoided that, the original file is included! :) If it's "better" than that, well.... you know.

Aha, an actual value for impedance (I presume the driving output impedance was much lower, low enough to be considered insignificant). That will be helpful when, er, if this experiment is repeated.
I tried to measure the DC resistance of the potato and could not. It kept getting higher and higher, like a cap charging up. I found that the potato would charge to about 0.8V and it would hold. Don't know how, both probes were stainless steel, not dissimilar metals.

it would be interesting to synchronize two and swap between them rather than listening to a whole track and then another, that *might* make it easier to spot a difference...
I used the ABX plugin in FOOBAR to do just this. Not much, if any, difference that I can tell. Very surprising.
Sorry about the glitches in D. I could fix that, but want to leave all as is.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
BTW, thanks again for taking the time to listen. I was really hoping for more a difference in the sound. :( I do find it strange that they all sound so similar.

I'll reveal the files in a day or two, once a few more folks have reported in.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I listened to the mp3 files yesterday night through PC speakers. I couldn’t spot any difference.

Today, first think after waking up, before coffee, was listening to the flac files through AKG240 headphones.
Initially I said A,D,C,B in terms of presence.
After the second listening, I wasn’t sure for the order of difference.
Then I listened to them many times in random order. I can’t say there is a difference, let alone any order.
The more I listen to them, the more I can’t tell one from the other (except through the glitch on D)

I knew that radio amateurs were using trees as efficient antennas.
Thank you Pano for the audio experience.

George

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I knew that radio amateurs were using trees as efficient antennas.

A quote from the documented origin of the idea (*)
http://w5jgv.com/tree_antenna/George%20O%20Squire%20Tree%20Antenna%20Patent.pdf

“A dead tree will not do, and a tree not in leaf is not so sensitive as one in full foliage…it
makes no difference that amounts to anything whether the tree be just an ordinary tree or a
giant
it receives better in dry clear weather than in muggy, damp weather.
It is affected not at all by the presence of other trees;

British Patent Specification # 149,917
More particularly, the invention relates to radio transmission and reception through the use of living vegetable organisms such as trees, plants, and the like.”

(*)Here for a more recent study:
http://w5jgv.com/tree_antenna/1975%20January%20Ikrath%20IEEE%20tree%20antennas.pdf

Come to think of it, this is even stranger than I thought.

I don't know how to Google this and I never thought about it before, but there is a fundamentally different kind of electron flow going on than in normal conductors. No free electrons here. The transport must be ionic.

I would never have guessed that the propagation speed in ionic transport would be high enough for audio, altough I am sure someone must have measured it sometime.

Edit: what I mean with propagation speed is that two electro-chemical reactions need to take place at both cathode and anode, the electrons flow through the circuit, this goes fast enough :)

Spot on. Different conduction mechanisms. Molecular wire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can a chemist pop in please?

George

Last edited:
There's all sorts of ways that charge is transported in solids (including polarons and solitons). But since this is AC, it's a field transmission- the charged entities have a short path and basically just jiggle. The way different mechanisms can be distinguished, using relatively simple means, is usually through temperature dependence measurements.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.