Fancy Interconnects? How about a potato, or even mud?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well I listened to them on my system first of all sitting on the floor between the speakers, and then at the listening position.

On the floor between the speakers all sounded a bit off on the vocals no doubt due to the fact that they are MTM's and I was quite a bit off axis vertically with the tweeters.

Listening at the listening position at first I thought that B sounded like there was less of the room there, and maybe a slight shift to the left in the image (probably because I read mooly's comment so the brain wanted to hear that). But on listening to them all over again I didn't notice it.

In the end I can't reliably tell any difference between any of the tracks :confused:

Note that the playback was on my good speakers but the DAC is the crappy on board sound card in my HTPC.

Tony.

me and a friend of mine had this idea over a few beers.
how about... liquid cables? make the cable an actual hose, fill it with salt solution, add some colorant and maybe some nice LEDs...

some other idea: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artist's_****

because, it's more than obvious to me, audio is becoming art/designer fashion.

LOL: the forum censors the link, I trust you'll figure it out though

LE: oh darn it, http://www.teoaudio.com/liquid_cable.php

Last edited:
I think the cheapest thing (besides dirt) that might have actual technical merit
would be a bundle of three CAT5 cables, 12x 100ohm twisted pairs in parallel.

Theoretical benefits might be an 8.3ohm characteristic impedance that hides
both the inductance and capacitance of the cable, as long as at least one end
terminates into something close to 8.3 ohms. And maybe reduced skin effect,
similar to Litz wire, not that matters at audio frequencies...

Personally, I just use zipcord, cause I can't hear any different.

Oh, nutz. Were talkin' line level... Where am I at??? What impedance is line?
I don't think you can match more than 377*2 ohms to any pair, but maybe
if you put matching transformers at both ends you could fake it with a coax.
Hose full of wet dirt inside a hose full of wet dirt... Litz dirt anyone???

Last edited:
me and a friend of mine had this idea over a few beers.
how about... liquid cables? http://www.teoaudio.com/liquid_cable.php

The salt water is in the megabuck prize tag brand pointed some post up in this TD
nevertheless I can see your Idea, two tiny transparent hoses , no need to twist them :) , some cork seal at the ends, a needle or something trough the cork to solder terminals, and different kinds of spirits to try on, rigorously by ear judgement..

Thanks.

I want to provide lossless files (FLAC) for the full experience, but will cut them down to about 20 secs long for file size issues. Would a 20 second clip be enough for you guys?

For completeness, could you add this please? (you know, not that it'd personally make a difference for me...) 20 secs should be fine.

Anybody should be able to convert the FLAC to whatever else anyway.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The Votes So Far

Mooly
A: Best
B: Excellent
C: Hard to pin down
D: Worst

Dirkwright
A: Best (original)

fas42
A: copper
B: mud
C: original
D: food

nanoo
B: original
C: copper

Scott17
A: original

wintermute
can't tell the difference

Thanks for taking the time to listen, guys. I thought it might be fun to hear what different materials do to the signal. My big surprise in doing this was how little difference it makes. I was really hoping for more. :( Of course it's kinda surprising that it works at all.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK, I've had another listen, this time with my (certainly not great quality) logitech usb headphones on (palying off my laptop). The only thing I will say for certain is that track D has two glitches in it. One between 28 and 29 seconds and the other between 58 and 59 seconds (this is on the mp3's).

I've played it multiple times and the glitch (sounds like a skip) is consistently in the same two spots.

I'll have to go back and check the others to see if they have any as well.

Other than that I'm struggling to pick up any differences.

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.