Television question...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know this is the "audio" forum but I have to start somewhere and our members have such varied interests. So here goes...

One of my interests is renovating old B&W TVs, ones of some design interest. That represents a relatively small world: as someone said, "As soon as TV was invented it became a high-tech commodity" -- there was tremendous competition for technological improvement combined with downward pressure on price, so design was largely ignored. Nevertheless there are maybe some 50-100 interesting TVs.

So, I restore these TVs cosmetically and often also the electronics. But sometimes I do not want to, the electronics that is. It is painful -- you have to replace may be a hundred capacitors in tight spaces AND it is dangerous, you are dealing with 600 to 25K volts!

So my question: are / were there any "generic" TV chassis made that can power any CRT -- ones that can be adjusted for coil impedances, voltages, etc.

This would sate my craving to see the TV running without orphaning my kids!

I would appreciate any suggestions.

There were generic chassis re-branded for some department stores, or you could purchase one in a plain black steel cabinet. (That's the one which shocked me so badly I was thrown across the room.)

I used to take them apart for the tubes, power supply caps and power transformers. Still have the Weller Gun which could unsolder an electrolytic from the chassis.

My first ham transmitter used a 6DQ6 and trafo from a discarded TV.

It is almost impossible, the horizontal deflection stage is tuned, and the yoke coil is the most important part in this tuned circuit, so replacing one yoke by other may cause severely malfuction in the receiver, including red plate in the HO tube, and or power supply damages.

This is true -- is it not called "flyback?" Also there is some distorting of the waveform towards the edges and corners of the picture tube to correct for distortions introduced by the angle of the ray.

But, as a slight non-sequitor, I have recently learned that all stereo FM transmission today is done by DSP, meaning, I assume, the waveform that is finally applied to the transmitter is produced by digital manipulation rather than -- oh so complicated -- analog means.

I presume this is possible for TVs too and the most recent CRT TVs before their demise (especially those with completely flat screens) must have used some sort of DSP to generate the sawtooth patterns rather than relying on analog tuning and resonance networks.

No, yoke and Fly Back transformer (It defines its function, no its name), are both parts of the horizontal output stage, but are inter-depending between them. In fact, all capacitances in the circuit (including parasitic ones) and all the inductances (HOT, yoke, width and linearity coils if they exist) are all part of a 5th harmonic tuning in the entirely output stage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.