Niles ZR-6 powersupply repair? *Pic*

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I have a niles ZR-6 unit that came in for repair, upon opening it up, from what it looks like i found two vertical toroid inductor chokes completely burnt everything else appears to be OK on the power supply board. How do i go about finding a replacement for these ? I cannot find a part number or anything. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    769.7 KB · Views: 96
As the wire is wrecked. It's easy to ascertain what you require.

FIRST and MOST IMPORTANTLY, count the number of turns and the direction of the turns (not important in a singular winding but VERY important if there is more than one winding)

Once you are happy with how the thing is built just snip the ends of the coils and count the number of turns.

With the scrap wire, wind it around a suitable former (ie a pen) and measure the length of 10 or 20 turns, the more the better.

Then measure the length of the winding. If 10 turns measures at 19mm then the wire is 1.9mm.

Simply buy the same wire and rebuild it.

Winding a toroid is a pain. Looks like there's not many turns though.

Use a pencil or similar as a shuttle. Calculate how much wire you need, wind it onto the pencil so it fits through the toroid with plenty room to spare. Avoids tangles.

Or you can make a split bobbin to fit around the core, wind on the required number of turns by turning the bobbin, cut the wire, and then unwind from the bobbin onto the core. Avoids calculation and kinks.

thank you guys for all your help so far, i replaced two chokes, but the unit still won't power up. Everything else visually looks fine. I noticed that the heatsink with a FET attached to it gets hot fairly quickly. I'm not sure how to proceed from here so any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Rob

Hopefully this picture will help atleast a little bit. How often to the flame proof resistors break? I can't seem to get a reading on them with the DMM. I've read that they act like fuses, so im thinking one or both of them are shot since the toroid that exploded was pretty much right next to it.

Attachments

• IMG_2042.jpg
    IMG_2042.jpg
    821.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2045.jpg
    IMG_2045.jpg
    576.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2043.jpg
    IMG_2043.jpg
    511.8 KB · Views: 72
Hopefully this picture will help atleast a little bit. How often to the flame proof resistors break? I can't seem to get a reading on them with the DMM. I've read that they act like fuses, so im thinking one or both of them are shot since the toroid that exploded was pretty much right next to it.

if you must work on those, use an isolation transformer, make sure the secondary is floating......make sure you are wearing rubber shoes....be safe....

I need some help on this, im kind of stumped. I still can't get the unit to turn on. What else usually breaks when a inductor choke explodes? I was reading that the N channel FET drives the indcutors, what are the chances that the FET is broken failed when the inductor choke failed? Any help or input is appreciated.

Thanks

-Rob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.