Singapore: Where to go for hi-end electronics?

I'm going to hunt for electronic stuffs in Singapore next month (I couldn't
yet figure out a cheap place/hotel to stay). May be I want to buy Lundahl
transformers or Lowther drivers or Seas Excel or something.

What is the place for hi-end electronics components in Singapore? In
Sim Lim Tower, where can I find such stuffs?

Where to stay.

Hi Jay,
Simlim Tower is generally good for components. Simlim Square
( across the road ) is good for finished goods and hardware
( tools). Now it is has over 50% computer related shops.

High-End is sprinkled all over Singapore. Many are in The Adelphi and some in Penninsula Plaza. There are plenty more , but you will have to pick up a Singapore Hi-Fi magazine and find out - unless some else gives pointers. Most places are not too far away from each other.
Cheers.

Place to stay.

I just checked around and some suggestions I got for staying near SimLimSquare -
BenCoolen Hotel - on BenCoolen street ( a regular hotel ).
BenCoolen House - A very basic cheap place to stay - no food and fancy stuff . Better check it before you make any decision. It is on the opposite side of the street from BenCoolen Hotel.
Ask you friends or call them up .
Cheers.

Re: Place to stay.

these are ***** houses my dear...

if ur looking for lundahl trafos and lowther drivers. they are at a shop called martin electronics. i believe they are the sole agents and the only ones selling it in singapore. it is located at burlington square which is opposite simlim square.

cheers!

ashok said:
I just checked around and some suggestions I got for staying near SimLimSquare -
BenCoolen Hotel - on BenCoolen street ( a regular hotel ).
BenCoolen House - A very basic cheap place to stay - no food and fancy stuff . Better check it before you make any decision. It is on the opposite side of the street from BenCoolen Hotel.
Ask you friends or call them up .
Cheers.

if ur looking for lundahl trafos and lowther drivers. they are at a shop called martin electronics. i believe they are the sole agents and the only ones selling it in singapore. it is located at burlington square which is opposite simlim square.

Seconded. I've shopped there and their prices on Lundahl and Lowther are indeed very good. Once you get there don't miss visiting Well Audio Lab, 175 Bencoolen St #01-23 Burlington Square. They sell Sun kits and a whole lot of yummy components.

Martin Audio

I have bough lots of tubes from Martin Audio. I forgot to mention that. It is run by an elerdly old lady and her husband. It was really illuminating when for the first time I entered the shop and saw a grey haired eldery lady soldering together a speaker crossover ! Wonderful!
She also spoke about a lot other technical stuff that really blew me over.
The other audio (tube) shop is also on theground floor in front of the building . Didn't have the charm of Martin Audio however .
They also have full range ( single driver) speakers etc. Everything for a tube application. Very good prices too.
Burlington Square is the building right next to SimLim Square.
Cheers.

hi ashok,
selamat pagi!
i worked in singapore's oil and gas plants at the Jurong Island for about 4 years and was forced to go back due to project completion...i am very much fammiliar with the martin audio shop that you mentioned, although i must admit that while i was in singapore, my interest was with computers and therefore spent more time at sim lim square an only occasionaly peeked at burlington square since there were also shops selling computer hardaware there....it feel good to read about what you wrote knowing that i was once there!!! while in singapore, i stayed at Bukit Batok, West Coast,Clementi, i still remember the ferry boat rides we used to take going to work while the jurong highway was still under construction....i miss geylang and lucky plaza!!!

Martin Electronics Don't miss it!

I am in no way affiliated with Martin but have been their happy customer for more than a decade now...

I do not think there will be any other shop like them. In the younger days, they repair speakers, build and repair tube amp and gives valuable advice that sometime hard for people to swallow!

I bought my first Dyna Audio kit from them when I was 18. I almost manage to complete it except for the hum problem. The very auntie actually fix it for me.

Later I changed my diy amp with a more powerful EL34 PP. Now, after 13 years, I am still using this very same amplifier!

Today, the uncle is laying around in the shop as a consultant! He is not doing much repair anymore. He makes sure that the auntie is doing the right thing especially with crossover design and stuff.

They continue this business not because they need the money... but it is for the love of audio and to keep healthy! They are the authorise distributor for Lowther and Focal speakers. They have Hammond casing, transformer, choke and a bundle of boutique caps and resistor... if you are not sure which one to use.. just ask them.. you will be amaze.. :)

Sorry for writing too long but I think they deserve this special mention.

Martin Electronics
175 Bencoolen street
#01-47 Burlington Square
Tel: +65 63364420

Thank you all for the info.

I have taken some notes regarding the Geylang, Martin Audio, Well, SLT, Adelphi, Peninsula and Bencoolen house, and am familiarizing myself with those names :) I presume they are located very closely to each other. That is a fortune!

My friend told me that he once rented a room in an apartment for S$40 a day. That's the maximum I would like to pay :D Besides, I'm not planning to spend too much time in the room anyway.

And I forgot to mention about the Gainclone (LM3785), DAC kit and a second hand or used electronics shop. And the most important thing, how I can bring the stuff home. I was very afraid to bring electronic stuffs through the Immigration (Indonesian's of course!) and still am. May be I will take that risk, or may be I can send them by post or something? No, that's ridiculuous :D

Oh, Joan2, are sure that ashok understands what "Selamat Pagi" is? And li_gangyi, what are you studying at Geylang? Electronic stuff?? :scratch:

Dude...Geylang is a place for...ermz let's just say a "special" type of business...one that mostly caters to lonely men...I dun study at Geylang...I study at a neighbourhood school in Woodlands...North of Singapore...I'm still in Secondary school if you dun noie...probably tt why I keep asking and posting questions...and yeah...feel free to come to Singapore...I dun think you would really want to come to Singapore just for it's electronics...and Geylang is quite far from SLT or Burlington Sq...if you really want to visit that place...chuckle...hehe...:devily:

Hi Jay,

3 other important place are missing when it comes to hi-end DIY electronics in Singapore

Larry Hi-Fi at People's Park Centre
http://www.tube-amp.com/

Koba Electronics at People's Park Centre
Company Name : KOBA ELECTRONICS (S) PTE LTD
Telephone Number : 65331672
Fax Number : 65324401
Building No. Street Name : 101 UP CROSS ST
Unit No. Building Name : #03-06 PEOPLE'S PK CENTRE
Postal Code : 058357

AhfArtAudio at Upper Cross Street
http://www.ahfartaudio.com/

All these places are walking distrance from ChinaTown MRT Station.

Here's what can be found

Larry HiFi (Almost all the same things you can find in Well Audio Lab)

Koba Electronics (good grade electronics such as OSCON, Starget, Slimic, MUSE, TDK Ferrite Clamps etc)

AhFArtAudio (Kiwame, Vishay Dale RN-60 Military Grade MF Resistors - selected values only, Vishay Angstrohn hemetically-sealed Military Grade MF Resistors - selected values only, NOS Russian Tubes e.g. 6H23N-EB, Singapore custom wound transformers and chokes, Neotech OCC Cables - stocks keep running low)

For AHFArtAudio, only opens on Saturdays and occasionally weekdays after office hours. Have to call Robert on his mobile phone first to confirm. Just go in the toy store, his little shop is just inside

You probably will find mediocre electronics in SLT as compared to the treasures you can find in Koba. If you are going to Koba@ChinaTown, might as visit Larry HiFi and AHFArtAudio too.

regards,
Ken Chuang

Selamat pagi !

Hi,
I know what that means. I also know a few more greetings!

I cross checked with some more people and I located someone who stayed at the Bencoolen House ( Travellers Lodge! - that's what they apparently call it ). He had no problems and it did not look like a red light area. He said it was more like a low cost hostel ! They apparently have more expensive rooms elsewhere for about S$60/- , almost twice as much as the basic place. You will probably find more people who have used this place.

I am surprised that some people think this is a ***** house !!
In the heart of Singapore ??
Simlim Square is just off Orchard road so this place must be also off Orchard road - The heart of Singapore. Surprising.

Yes I have been to Singapore - about 25 times !
Cheers.

New areas to discover.

Hi Ken,
That information was new to me. I know that China Town is a great place to shop around. I did not know that they had tube related shops also. I must spend time there on my next trip.
I need to get some Black Gate caps and some better quality resistors etc.
Thanks,
Ashok.