Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Good and cheap portable MP3 players?
Good and cheap portable MP3 players?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2003, 02:34 PM   #1
Lisandro_P is offline Lisandro_P  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lisandro_P
Default Good and cheap portable MP3 players?

I've been wanting a good memory-based mp3 player for a while now, and i've got my eye on the RCA Kazoo - which can be found for $100 locally. Comes with 64mb, has two mmc slots to expand, and it can be used via USB so i don't need bizarre programs to get it going. It's reputed to sound good aswell.

Any reccomendations on that price range? (mind that i have to multiply prices x3 down here...)
Old 21st September 2003, 02:06 AM   #2
damonpip is offline damonpip
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to damonpip
Would you consider a minidisc player? I just bought one at the local BestBuy for $100 and I'm loving it. Each disc holds 140megs, which is about 150 minutes. The discs also only cost $1.50 each. It transfers with USB as fast, or faster than the Kazoo does.
Old 21st September 2003, 03:04 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Um, interesting - i didn't thought about it first, but mainly because minidiscs are kinda dead nowadays. Do you have any links or info on the player?
Old 21st September 2003, 03:19 AM   #4
li_gangyi is offline li_gangyi  Singapore
diyAudio Member

they aren't dead...maybe you can get second-hand or used ones from E-bay...just be sure to check the shipping and confirm if it's a good deal ornot...might get ripped-off...
Old 21st September 2003, 03:22 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

LInk to it here. Minidiscs are not the most popular, but i wouldn't call them dead. Consider that with a minidisc you get 150mins of better than 128kb/s mp3 quality music, and you can get another 150 mins by paying $1.50 for another minidisc. Just 64mb of flash is gonna cost you like $40. Also, one AA battery in the minidisc player will last 50-some hours. No mp3 player comes close.
Old 21st September 2003, 03:24 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Oh, and if you get a used one, make sure you get a NetMD, otherwise you can't transfer songs with USB.
Old 21st September 2003, 03:28 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yeah...and be sure to get the optical cable too..if you are planning to use it...USB is the fast way to go...IMHO
Old 21st September 2003, 03:31 AM   #8
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

Those MP3 players that read 22min CD-Rs (you know, those little ones) are really cool, maybe one of those?

Well, for cheap mp3 players, www.sysbeat.com has alot at good prices. I bought the cheapest ($29, and 128MB card for another $29 made a 128MB MP3 player for $60) and it works flawlessly. Sound quality is what to be expected for MP3. But most portable audio isn't anywhere near hi-fi anyways...
Old 21st September 2003, 03:34 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Might want to consider a hybrid CD-player MP3 reader...CD-Rs only cost a dollar...maybe less...so it's a cheap0 way...but the player might be physically big itself...
Old 21st September 2003, 03:45 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Good info here.What i'm after is: (relatively) decent audio quality, small size, good battery life and ease to record media. My old Sony walkman does none of the above anymore

The Minidisc idea is good, as long as i can record digitally from my PC - i've been checking some locally and most of what's available used or new are standart MD readers, sometimes with the possibility of recording audio from line-in... cheap, but...

MP3 is even better- but still expensive, from any point of view. The CD/MP3 players are dirt cheap, but bulky and i've used a few that skipped like crazy when moved, even when playing MP3. Are the MD any better?

Good and cheap portable MP3 players?Hide this!Advertise here!