Good and cheap portable MP3 players?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been wanting a good memory-based mp3 player for a while now, and i've got my eye on the RCA Kazoo - which can be found for $100 locally. Comes with 64mb, has two mmc slots to expand, and it can be used via USB so i don't need bizarre programs to get it going. It's reputed to sound good aswell.

Any reccomendations on that price range? (mind that i have to multiply prices x3 down here...)

LInk to it here. Minidiscs are not the most popular, but i wouldn't call them dead. Consider that with a minidisc you get 150mins of better than 128kb/s mp3 quality music, and you can get another 150 mins by paying $1.50 for another minidisc. Just 64mb of flash is gonna cost you like $40. Also, one AA battery in the minidisc player will last 50-some hours. No mp3 player comes close.

Those MP3 players that read 22min CD-Rs (you know, those little ones) are really cool, maybe one of those?

Well, for cheap mp3 players, www.sysbeat.com has alot at good prices. I bought the cheapest ($29, and 128MB card for another $29 made a 128MB MP3 player for $60) and it works flawlessly. Sound quality is what to be expected for MP3. But most portable audio isn't anywhere near hi-fi anyways...

Good info here.What i'm after is: (relatively) decent audio quality, small size, good battery life and ease to record media. My old Sony walkman does none of the above anymore :)

The Minidisc idea is good, as long as i can record digitally from my PC - i've been checking some locally and most of what's available used or new are standart MD readers, sometimes with the possibility of recording audio from line-in... cheap, but...

MP3 is even better- but still expensive, from any point of view. The CD/MP3 players are dirt cheap, but bulky and i've used a few that skipped like crazy when moved, even when playing MP3. Are the MD any better?

MDs usually have shock protection...usually it just means they buffer the audio into RAM first...maybe the first 10secs..some people might say it degrades the audio...I wonder which CD-MP3 player you are referring to which skips...if you dun mind cheap but albeit abit older suff...you might want to look at Creative's first generation MP3 players...those that are SMALL white and have orange bands...costs about SGD$150 new here...not sure about it at your place...if you have cash to throw...I suggest getting an iRiver...been getting a lot of good reviews lately...

Depending on the amount of music you want or have, a $75 diskman with MP3 capability is probably your most cost effective solution. CD-R's are effectively free and limitless storage for the thing. And you can use the same hardware for MP3 casual listening and just pop a non-compressed disk in for lower distortion listening.

I bought an iPod because I have more money than brains and I live in an area which is a radio wastelend. With an iTrip, and the iPod I just set the thing on my passenger seat and turn on my radio, no wires, no fuss. 300 albums at my disposal.

I'm checking prices for MD-Walkmans as i type this.

One final question; does anyone know how song transfer is managed on the models that record only from analog in? Those are quite cheaper ($60), but if pouring a couple of CDs/MP3s on one requieres ripping one track at the time is no good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.