Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Do you guys have this in Europe/Oz
Do you guys have this in Europe/Oz Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2003, 01:31 AM   #1
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Do you guys have this in Europe/Oz

tonight there's a concert celebrating the anniversary of German unification from Leipzig -- delayed "simulcast" (i.e. broacast on one of the local FM stations while the video is broadcast on a public service station.) This is frequently done for opera, big civic events etc.

does this exist in Europe and Oz -- i.e. simulcast? just wondering. The sound is usually fantastic.
Old 16th September 2003, 01:42 AM   #2
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Jack,

Yes we have simulcasts in the UK, though less since we got NICAM TV sound, which is (arguably) better than FM and digital radio.

The current (recent) simulcasts that come to mind are the Proms series.

Cheers,
Old 16th September 2003, 02:41 AM   #3
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

OK, since nonone has added, I will:

We have a number of digital TV systems in the UK (no, don't start me off....).

Anyway, they all use MPEG. The thing about MPEG is that it take time to encode, and that is normally 1 to 2 seconds.....

Ha, simulcast or what??????

edit: fixed a typo..
Old 16th September 2003, 03:58 AM   #4
qwad is offline qwad  Australia
diyAudio Member

yes, we have them all too infrequently here in OZ on tha ABC [ our version of the bbc] but due to big brother [ read GOVT]cost cutting it is getting rarer and rarer I remember all too well one of the best I saw in simulcast with our very own diva Joan sutherland in der fledermause, ah what a performance....
cheers to all TC
Old 16th September 2003, 04:24 AM   #5
uvodee is offline uvodee
diyAudio Member

Default I wonder some times...

If Americans in general have such a poor thought of Europe....
Simulcast has been done on the Belgian Radio and Television(the old name BRT) from the '80s on...
I have witnessed opera from the Scala of Milan (Turandot, among others) in simulcast........

Belgium mayvery well be an outcast when it comes to technology (Simcards were already in use 10 years before the USA even knew what it could mean, and ATM (Bancontact cards) started their lives around 1978 in Belgium....
and guess who developped the very latest encryption methods for secure data transfer..used in the USA

Jean-Pierre

Lang Leve de Koning
Lang Leve Belgie

from Federal Way, WA 98003-6612
USA
Old 16th September 2003, 04:45 AM   #6
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: I wonder some times...

Quote:
Originally posted by uvodee
If Americans in general have such a poor thought of Europe....
from Federal Way, WA 98003-6612
USA
ooopps, looks like another NATO guy. it was an honest question, no insult intended,

Some of my best friends were educated at Louvain, and I have spent weeks in the land of moules and frites, consumed of perhaps the best beer in the world, had an uncle (actually a "great-uncle fwiw) who lost a leg in the Bulge, I've even been to Dinant!

the Simulcast wasn't that hot anyway, now listening to Maria Callas on the 24 hr/day channel.

Do you guys have this in Europe/OzHide this!Advertise here!