To all Californians

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a very good opportunity to relocate to Irvine, CA. Strong technical position with a highly regarded company. Can I get your opinions about the region? It is close to L.A., which frightens me a bit to be honest, coming from the Midwest. We have two kids in grade school and are a one income household at this time.

Thanks!

I have traveled through that part of the woods on occasion. Perhaps those who live in the area will chime in. Its in a pretty swanky area of LA. You are next door to Huntington Beach and Newport Beach. We are talking real wealth. "I'm sorry, I can't associate with you because your yacht is only 40' long." I can foresee your children turning a very brown color and all they will want to do all day is surf. So don't worry about the schools, they won't be attending anyhow. There is actually a lot of open space in the region so you shouldn't feel really cramped. Traffic can be a nightmare down there. You are quite a way south of the main part of the city. Here is a link to crime statistics in 2006. The average age is pretty young, 33. There are small households and more women than men, a good thing for stability and lack of crime. The weather is much more moderate than the mid west, you may have trouble getting used to shorts on Christmas Day. The Wikipedia article is pretty interesting.

There is no reason for concern since Los Angeles is 90 miles away, which I think is far enough. Irvine has a good school district, low crime rate and lots of large companies, which translates into plenty of jobs. It is also served by a local airport, John Wayne (SNA). Air quality in Orange County is overall much better than in L.A. County.
I live just a few miles from Irvine and have consulted for two companies there. I avoid working in certain areas of L.A. County, mostly because of traffic conditions. I don’t have any problem traveling within Orange County, and consider Irvine a preferred location.
Irvine has a large Asian community, good restaurants and specialty markets. Overall, a nice place to work and visit, and I would not mind living there.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.