Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Recommended books
Recommended books
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th September 2011, 11:26 AM   #11
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Beginner: Foundations of Wireless and Electronics
Intermediate: Horowitz and Hill, Self
Advanced: Radiotron Designer's Handbook, Pease
Old 20th September 2011, 11:26 AM   #12
osscar is offline osscar  Latvia
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I recommend the articles of the FIRST WATT website also.
Nice list we have there. tnx.
My DIY so far: two Leach amps,two Pass AB100, Pass F5, B1 buffer, Hiraga le monstre, two LM3875, LM1875, OPA549, 6C33C SE, GU32 PP, 6p3c-e PP, Marsh headphone amp.Phono - OBH-8se, Pacific RIAA, inDiscreet Phono, MF A1 Clone, Whammy headphone amp.
Old 20th September 2011, 11:49 AM   #13
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Perhaps a general thing to say is that there is little point in people reading an intermediate book too soon. Some people read something like Doug Self or Morgan Jones, then pop up here with lots of question and it quickly becomes clear that while they may have learnt lots of words they have little real understanding so our replies don't actually help them.

How long does it take for someone to gain reasonable competence in electronics? Starting from scratch (e.g. some science and maths, but no electronics) I would say 2-3 years of intensive study or 5-10 years of spare time hobby. To be an expert you can multiply these times by 2 or 3.
Old 14th November 2019, 07:31 AM   #14
thompsontechs is offline thompsontechs
diyAudio Member

Had to dig this one from the grave. I do hold an EE degree, but whatever I learned 20 odd years ago has long since left along with my Commodore 64. I find myself stuffing boards without really know wtf I'm doing. So in light of that, I'm going to take a few, "refreshers," in my case more of a, relearners classes, and do some reading as well.

This long forgotten thread is part of that task. Since nothing has been added in years, perhaps there are some new books out there, that you have read and should be added here?

Anyway, time to get the Ginko out and see if I can force any more into this old noodle of mine.
Old 14th November 2019, 09:25 AM   #15
Soundhappy is offline Soundhappy  France
diyAudio Member

http://www.hornspeakersystems.info/images/pdf/TOC.pdf

This one New Book on High-Quality Horn Loudspeaker Systems Now Available | audioXpress History, Theory & Design
Old 15th November 2019, 04:00 AM   #16
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsontechs View Post
...I do hold an EE degree, but whatever I learned 20 odd years ago has long since left ..... This long forgotten thread is part of that task. Since nothing has been added in years, perhaps there are some new books out there...
The old books are the best books. -Grumpy old man

I just bought near a dozen books, the one I like best is 1948, the disappointment was the 3rd edition of a book I loved in 1st edition. (Newer/Bigger is NOT always better.)

For medium and leading-edge audio amplifiers, Doug Self and Bob Cordell have recent editions which are excellent for the readers they target. Richard Kuehnel is known for guitar amplifiers but two recent books are more general (Fundamentals of Guitar Amplifier System Design, and Circuit Simulation - Model vacuum tube guitar amplifiers using SPICE!) The SPICE book is general (not just tubes) and about the 2nd best LTspice tutorial I've seen (the best is in this forum).
Old 15th November 2019, 04:19 AM   #17
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsontechs View Post
I'm going to take a few, "refreshers," in my case more of a, relearners classes, and do some reading as well.
The current edition of The Art of Electronics will fix you right up.
Old 15th November 2019, 05:28 AM   #18
gentlevoice is offline gentlevoice  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Recommended books
Hi all,

I would suggest "Audio Power Amplifiers" by Arto Kolinummi. It describes and lists many different approaches to inherently linear amplifiers (without GNFB) including schematics and distortion levels. I wouldn't call it a stand-alone book but consider it an addition to e.g. Self & Cordell's books.

Cheers,

Jesper
Old 15th November 2019, 02:18 PM   #19
thompsontechs is offline thompsontechs
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input people, I will get some of these on order...

JT

Recommended booksHide this!Advertise here!