Firefox 6.0.1 update

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm not great with computers so be gentle...... down in the right hand corner of my screen popped a little white box saying an update was available for firefox and it was in fact a 6.0.2. I got the same box popping up for 6.0.1 not long ago but never installed it because I'm lazy.....sounds like I'm glad I didn't. I kept having it "remind me later" and that's what I did with this 6.0.2 notice...... it should pop up again tomorrow or possibly this evening reminding me :scratch1:

Feel free to go ahead with update now. I -and I'm sure a passle of others- left feedback with Firefox shortly after my post here. I don't know who flipped what bit where, but I guess Paypal and Firefox found the situation embarassing enough that the problem suddenly vanished. Verified first with 6.0.1, and then again with 6.0.2 when Firefox manual update button under -Help-About- also started working.

To others, the reason why anybody should care if their version of Firefox or any other browser is right up to date, is that a group of hackers recently hacked in to one of the sites that issues the security certs for everybody else and first stole and then published info on issuing bogus SSL security certificates. It was serious enough that bogus certificates were found for such lofty places as CIA, MI6 and Issraili Massad.

Cure is to entirely lock out all SSL certs issued by the place that got hacked..... Big huhu. Thus the need to update your browsers.

I don't savvey it all myself, I just know the SSL cert has to do with the little flag at the front of the URL line on your browser turns green and says paypal when you are really at paypal.com and not just some redirect address. Basically the same thing should be true about talking to your local bank and such. (safety flags are unique from place to place.)

Doc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.