LP to CD software/hardware recommendations?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Gang,

It's been a few years since I paid attention to this subject so I am wondering where it has progressed to since.

My friend has milk cartons of LPs in mint condition that he is ready to bring back to modern life.

He has an old TT (Garrard Zero 100S) with a MM cartridge and is hoping to buy some sort of PC interface that has all the right decent stuff needed between the TT and USB or Firewire or PCI slot to give quality CDs.

Hopefully the peak of value is not too expensive and might also come with software to bring out the best from his vinyl.

As always, Thanks fellas. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated as I know here is where the best answers and help live!!! :D

Regards//Keith

Hi,

one of the cheapest options is :

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UFO202.aspx
www.behringer.com/EN/downloads/pdf/UFO202_P0A12_M_EN.pdf

Behringer UFO202 Features:

- High-quality USB audio interface connects your turntable, cassette player, etc. with your computer for recording and playback

- Transfer and restore your valuable vinyl records and tapes to your computer via a simple USB connection

- Massive software bundle includes Audacity vinyl restoration, noise-reduction, editing and recording software, comprehensive podcasting software and over 150 virtual instruments and effect plug-ins

- The Behringer UFO202 includes revolutionary energyXT2.5 Compact music production software, with feature-rich audio/MIDI sequencer that loads almost instantaneously on all computer platforms

-Phono input switchable to line input source

- Stereo output allows easy connection and playback of computer audio files over your home sound system

- High-resolution 48 kHz converters for high-end audio quality

- Stereo Headphone output with dedicated Level control lets you monitor your input source

- Works with your PC or Mac computer - no setup or drivers required

- Powered via USB - no external power supply needed

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
You'll likely need some sort of preamp (preferably with RIAA equalization) for the signal out of the turntable. Then the signal should go to a DAC (like the UC202) so it can input thru the USB port of the PC. I haven't used Audacity; I got hold of Goldwave and have been using it. The shareware version I used was minimally crippled and did what I wanted. I now have a registered copy (free lifetime updates). I know Goldwave has digital RIAA filters but I haven't had a reason to use them. I suggest playing with the setup when you get it all connected until you hit on a technique that works for you and your hardware.
Some interesting reading is the restoration case histories that Ron Tipton has written for his TDL Technology web site.

Hard to beat the price of the Behringer UFO202, can be bought here in Minneapolis discounted to $35.00, but I'd be surprized if the sonics of the unit is anything but ordinary, I've heard thier guitar amps and they're ...ordinary. The deal here is, it takes a lot of time to play the record to get it onto your hard drive, then to de-click, de-rumble and such with whatever software you use (I use Groove Mechanic, works very well). I've found it generally takes about an hour or two for each record start to finish depending on how much cleaning up it needs.

Mike

Pano,
Groove mechanic can be set up to auto detect song gaps after the LP is ripped to the hard drive, or you can do it manually. And somewhat surprizingly, most of the time, you can go on-line to the "freedb/database" and get the album and song titles there, it usually works but not always.

Mike

Thanks for all your responses so far gentlemen.

sreten, I have no idea what cartridge he has but he did say he needs a new stylus. If the Garrard came equipped with something, I bet that's what it is.

No need for overkill on that clunky TT. LOL

The UFO202 sounds like it is in his price range (GREAT price for all that). I just hope the ADC is decent. I am not sure if he has a preamp or reciever with an internal Phono stage and Tape monitor, but that is a great idea if he has it and it saves $$$$ :D

But I'm thinking whatever he has, has to at least have a Phono Stage or how would he have listened to all those LPs?

Thanks again gentlemen. If anyone has anything else to add, please do and I will pass it all on to him. Or even better, send him the hyperlink to this thread.

Regards//Keith

I have a Behringer UCA202. It doesn't have a phono input. I wasn't aware of the UFO202. It's likely there's lots of online improvement mods for both models.
How about splitting up and naming tracks? Do you find it very time consuming?
I've spent a lot of time in Goldwave. A whole lot.
Many software programs have the "split into tracks" option. I rarely use it and just set the points myself. Same with naming files and adding tags. I usually have to type it once, but then the software takes care of album/global edits. I use Mp3tag and it recognizes just about everything but wav. Apparently this can also be done automatically via the internet but I avoid that connection with my computer-based audio - it's on its own PC. I love audio, so it's all worth it. :)

FWIW...
I got suckered into getting a "Garrard Zero 100" when they were first released many years ago.
While they were an interesting enginering concept to maintain tracking angle, those bearings do give unexceptable friction.
A high end phono cartridge of the day (Stanton, Shure, etc.) would not track a record properly unless more than opitimin pressure was used.

So I quickly got rid of it and got a Thorens turntable

Last edited:
sreten, I have no idea what cartridge he has but he did say he needs a new
stylus. If the Garrard came equipped with something, I bet that's what it is.

Regards//Keith

Hi,

I don't think it came fitted with anything as standard, but that may
vary around the world. New stylus could be expensive or even worse
somewhat cheaper and a nasty generic, usually a clunky Shure fitted.

I'd recommend replacing the cartridge, this classic is great value :
Audio Technica AT 95 E / AT95E Tonabnehmer

Or possibly the Red Ed elliptical : Ed Saunders Red Ed Cartridge

Would be worth giving the turntable a service once over before starting.

rgds, sreten.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks Mike. Sounds like it has gotten easier. I did a good bit of it about 11-12 years ago and it was a royal pain. I used same software as SofaSpud - Goldwave - back then as I do now. It's made a good bit of progress since.

The right software could be a huge time saver, so it's good to know what's out there and what works well.

Hi Pano,
Groove Mechanic works very well, the de-clicking algorithms are the most effective of anything I've tried. Having said that, it still requires some time and effort to get the best results. Of course the condition of the record will determine how much effort will be required and how well it works. I've also used the wave editor function in Exact Audio Copy for de-hissing and trimming the silence at the beginning and end of the tracks with good results. And yeah, the album/track naming thing can be a royal pain in the posterior. The easiest way I've found is to go ahead and rip the vinyl to the hard drive and do the clean-up and track splitting thing, then burn it to a CD and use EAC to access fredb/database to get the names. At that point, I either just use EAC to re-rip to the hard drive and delete the original tracks, or manually copy and paste the names. Any way you do it requires some time and effort.

Mike

You need a RIAA phono in amp then headphone or line out then consider EMU0404 usb unit. It has excellent ADC's. I would store PC files at 24 bit depth 96K.(flac or wav)
You could burn to cd at 16bit 44.1K or to DVD or bluray at 24bit 96k
If you use software check that it is 24bit capable.
You will need a 24bit PC soundcard, eg M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 pci

Last edited:
If the UFO202 is like the UCA202, it has a fairly nice TI USB codec. The same chip is used in some much more expensive products.

A better choice may be the ART V2 USB Phono Plus DJ Preamp; about twice the price, but it has a gain control so you can optimize the recording levels. Toslink and line input and outputs could come in handy too. It may well use a TI USB codec since a number of those support S/PDIF I/O.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.