Cattylink.com Good to Deal With?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rodge,

I know one of their nominal "suppliers" quite well but according to their sales manager, cattylink don't buy the products from the actual manufacturer (in China) and in her opinion the same goes for most of the advertised products. They (a very well known and respected "high end" tube amp maker) have absolutely nothing to do with cattylink. She has been contacted in the past for help from people who've bought "her" factory products from cattylink that didn't work. They may or may not be "genuine" but the prices are so far below the normal ex-factory prices that it's a mystery how they could make any profit. The real manufacturers in mainland China are well aware of rip-offs for sale to innocent internet buyers but there is little they can do about it. Cattylink (and others) use genuine factory product photos etc. but buying their products would be a great risk. On the other hand, the bona-fide makers are great people to deal with and can often give good prices to enthusiasts. They will also get you good information and advice about matching to your system. I for one would not buy from cattylink, no matter that the "discount" might pay the $250-$400 worth of DHL shipping.....

acebritbiker,
Thanks for your very infomative reply. I was thinking the same thing about the low pricing myself. How can the gear be sold so low and still make a profit? I guess this might be a 21st century internet con game. Oh well guess I'll go to a bonified dealer and pay for the peace of mind.
Chris

Rodge, I looked at MingDa's web site yeterday and they'd just updated and added a pop-up window warning about fakes in general and cattylink specifically...! I know they will also tell you if a certain serial number is real or not, as they started serialising all their amps a year or two back. The manufacturers direct shipping is also no higher and can be less (as they don't try to make on the shipping) than the wholesale ripoff shops. One of the Hong Kong shops is apparently famous for the shipping profit (and its already so high.....!)

Hi everyone,

I can only warn from buying at Cattylink - they have been cheating people all over the world. There are a lot of warnings everywhere, and whenever some warning appears in a forum there is immediately a super positive post from 'someone' new to the forum.
There are also other companies warning from buying at cattylink:

h**p://www.xindak.com/en-us/choice_brand.htm
h**p://www.jungson.com/node/124

Aftersails seem to be another issue:
h**p://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=69752.0]My bad experience with cattylink[/url]

Some more links with information:
h**p://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=19416465#post19416465]Cattylink??? - AVS Forum[/url]

Don't buy there - they will grab your money and you will not have any chance to get it back !
Peter

Last edited:
Peter,
Thanks for the warning. I have already gone and purchased what I wanted from an authorised dealer. I will leave this thread gong so that anyone who has had a bad Cattylink experience can post. Also anyone thnking about dealing with them can find this in a search.
Chris

I ordered Cayin 265Ai amplifier from Cattylink in November 2010. Was sent a Spark Audio 265Ai amplifier. Not what they advertised, not what I wanted to buy and not what I paid for.

But there is more, MUCH more!

The parts inside, in particular the transformers, where lose when I received the amplifier. Wires were snapped, the potentiometer shaft was bent. The wire-wound source/drain resistors were damaged (!!!) - crushed by lose transformers. Luckily I opened the amp first to check everything. It is hard to believe that any means of transportation, the roughest ones even, would cause such damage. I could not find the bolts & nuts needed to affix the transformers anywhere inside the cardboard box, so it appears that the amp was not assembled properly when it was shipped to me.

My e-mails to Cattylink were unanswered.

I was able to get the amplifier to work, but it took me a fair amount of time, in particular the replacement of damaged source/drain resistors that required full disassembly of the amplifier PCB's, and the removal of all MOSFET's.

The average Joe with the same problem could only cry in disbelief because not many electronics workshops would dare to repair such a damaged amplifier.

I was prepared for a surprise and ready to fix minor issues because I know electronics, but the state the amp arrived-in to my address was shocking.

Stay away from Cattylink, as far as you can. Do not be fooled by the low prices. They ARE bunch of hard core criminals indeed.

Nick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.