Pictures -- Why Not attach Them ??

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
A very recent thread (wish I could find it) had an image that was so wide the diyAudio part of the page occupied around 25% of the left of the screen.

The "quote" thread options etc were in the room next door so wide was the thread as posted and, as I was comfy I just couldn't be bothered to get up to go and click quote and reply so I just exited the thread.

Anyone with Vista and W7 (XP too ???) has the program "Paint" included and can resize pictures in seconds as here. This took all of 20 seconds to do and was from a 3Mb high res photo. You don't need any 3rd party software. You can sharpen images in "Photo Gallery" too if needed.

I too think images posted on external sites should be discouraged.

Attachments

• Resized Image.JPG
    Resized Image.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 245
We have lost all of EVA's pics in the capacitor testing thread.
We have lost the pics in the KSA80 to 160 conversion thread.
The list of lost pics is enormous.
I can tell from the proportion of broken links to unattached documents that the original poster rarely follows up and corrects all the links when they change to another remote server.

Lightroom rules, i have creative suite too, but for cataloguing and this type of editing Lightroom is superior. however the latest photoshop 12 incorporates quite a lot of the cataloguing features i like in Lightroom. for most of this type of compression i just use actions and it takes me no time at all

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You just have to be a "positive" troll !!

Whenever you see a photobucket picture, you have to post a reply with this thread details attached.

(although my own preference would be some sort of block by admin on photobucket piccies.)

Andy

That's not a bad idea actually...

maybe a have a sticky or similar detailing how to add pictures (as I find many don't seem to know) and then any such threads can be directed there.

What would the moderators think to anything like this :)

I just had another thought, when you see someone else in a thread linking to a pic offsite (and it's reasonable to copy it, meaning it's within fair use and such), you can copy the pic, upload and attach it to your own post so that years later if/when the link goes away, the copy of the pic is still on the diyaudio server and still in the thread.

Presuming such a thing passes Administration Approval, of course.

I presume this place has many gigglebytes of online pic storage?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Jason says that storage and server power are not a problem, so attaching is fine. I think we are on cloud server anyway.

When you to attach photos or graphs there is an attachment button down below the post window. Just scroll down and you see it. See image 1 below.
When you click that button there will be a small pop-up window that allows you to choose and upload your files (see image 2). E-Z!

Note also that the manage attachments button will not be present if you are using the Quick Reply option. You can simply click on Go Advanced (see the third attachment) to get the option. Also if you edit a post you will need to click on Go Advanced to get the Manage Attachments option.

Attachments

• attatch-1.png
    attatch-1.png
    20 KB · Views: 276
  • attatch-2.png
    attatch-2.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 268
  • quick_reply.png
    quick_reply.png
    103.5 KB · Views: 241
Last edited by a moderator:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thanks Pano and Wintermute.

Could this be put at the top somewhere like Andrew suggested such that it's the first thing that's seen in the thread.

When I attach piccys I click the "close this window" tab after they have uploaded which allows me to see and carry on typing if needed. The files show as attached on the message.

Depending on where and how the attach window appears on a PC it might obscure the submit button leaving folk wondering what to do next etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just as an aside to the attaching pictures, another forum I use (same layout etc as this) recently started allowing guest members to view attachments without being them being registered and signed in users. The reason was that many folk were registering who had no intention of contributing. Since then it was reported that the sign up rate declined dramatically. I wouldn't know whether that was a good thing or not really.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'm curious what you see when you open this thread ?
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/201328-leak-stereo-30-overhaul-worth.html

In post #1 I see the circuit diagram displayed as a large oversized image pushing the margins off the screen, but it only does it on a first view.

My PC knowledge is lacking here as I don't know why this particular scenario happens.

If I now exit the thread and then return or just click "refresh" that particular image is now neatly sized and the same as the other three. If I now click this image it opens full size, click again and it returns back down. The picture is then OK even on any subsequent visits to the thread.

If I now clear my temp files etc (full delete of IE9 history) the picture then opens to the original massive size again on the first viewing and therafter is OK again.

So something is being stored in my browser cache I would think.

Whether this is something that is browser/PC/OS specific I don't know.

The thread I mentioned in post #41 was far far worse than this but the reason I couldn't find find it is I think because it probably just does it once like this one.

This is what I see for a first view,

Attachments

• Capture.GIF
    Capture.GIF
    107.3 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Mooly, I often get the same thing, using Firefox 8 and Win Vista. A humongous pic on first view, then everything's OK after that. I don't have any explanation.
The browser displays the humongous pic full size when the page first loads, then apparently scales it to the screen size after that. I've noticed the "+ in a circle" icon over pics in this forum - clicking the pic makes it full size (even if it's larger than my 1600x1200 screen, it's scrollable to show different parts), then clicking the pic again scales it to within the screen size.

I don't have (much of) a problem with such pics, especially if it can take advantage of the higher resolution of an oversized pic, such as a large, dense schematic.