Taking the ****....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Can the be serious? Yes. Does it actually matter? No.

Stoopid-expensive hifi systems have been (for some time now) a 'must-have' accessory for the incredibly rich. When selling to those people, Veblen pricing is in full effect.

The fact is that some 'normal' people can make some money off of them... So it's not all bad... But it does inexorably mean that prices of most hifi gear is only going up.

This isn't a particularly big deal to the DIY community.

If you're too stupid to be earning what you are (either by luck, or by parents), you compensate by being stupid in your spending so it balances out, that's what I believe.

To me there's no difference in selling magic orbs to old women vs rich audiophiles. But old women are getting smarter so there is less of it appearing on TV.

Perusing all the pages of the site there are many interesting designs from visual art point of view, but how good sonically are they actually ???.
This is perhaps a moot point seeing as most of us DIYers will never get to hear the most of them, much less ever have any hope of ever owning the items offered for sale on the site.
Other thoughts that come to mind are, do the purchasers of this kind of level of gear really understand audio reproduction like the DIYer who has done countless A/B/A/B/A/B.... testing to ascertain what really does sound good and grooves, or are they locked into 'it cost me a mill+ so it must be good' ???.
I have heard plenty of 30k+ systems and at this level all are clean and 'accurate' - some sounded ok, some I liked sort of, and some actually drove me out of the room because the 'groove factor' was all wrong.
There are many manufacturers that I have never heard of previously and never seen mentioned on this site - are they effectively vapourware ???.
Does anybody here have proper experience of this kind of gear ?.

Eric.

You realize how messed up the world is when you find that there are people who paid more for their speaker wire than I did for my house and both cars combined! My speaker wire came from Walmart, I splurged and got the #12 gauge stuff to connect up a 125 WPC tube amp. It was $11.

Yup, $30k+ for MIT cables sounds like taking the mickey to me.
I reckon 10 pair telephone cable at AUS $2.50/m sounds perfectly fine.

Eric.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.