Dying diy moral.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nice idea.
It wouldn't have to be separate though - it could be like an index or directory at the top of each forum, directing members to completed or ongoing projects. It could replace the underused "favorite threads and posts" sticky and be kept free of comment by the mods.

Very good ... solid state would have it's own <projects> area , same with speakers. If the projects had enough keywords (standardized) ,one could search "100w / BJT" and come up with the group (list). Comments could go to the associated thread(s) - PM or otherwise. :)

To keep a confusion from creeping in , a tight standard would be essential.

This has a commercial benefit , as well. Each project could also link to sourcing - PCB's (suppliers)
OS

Last edited:
Mmmmm...... who chooses the projects, the mods?

Committee .. yes. A project would have to be built multiple times , free from errors - safety issues. There is enough brainpower around to discern these things. Look at the NIAM kits out there , I'm surprised they didn't have legal issues. :D If a project conforms to the basic criteria , regardless if someone says it sounds better or worse , it should be included.

Basically , a standard is set up ... like the forum rules <project rules> , all submitted material would have to adhere to specific formats (600DPI JPG/PDF-for pcb artwork) and other basic formats ( minimum design quality/safety). A BOM / instructions would have to be included , anything needed to make the project "standalone". The design standard could be as simple as the guidelines set forth by Self/Cordell for linear amplifiers.

If a project DID have negative feedback , especially in the safety/errata arena , unless the creator addressed this ... the project would be removed (sinbinned :D ). So , a "ratings" scheme would police itself , making for project "bliss".

If you combined my projects , MJL21193 , DX , Apex , and Dr. bora/Quasi ... you would have nearly 100 projects right off the bat.

OS

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
it is also to some extent your own responsibility as members
for one, choosing a thread title carefully, etc, etc

now, if we look at F5 thread
its grown exstremely large
would have been very easy to have multiple F5 threads

its beyond me why noone opens a F5 thread with focus on adjustments
there are lots of options to make it all a great deal more organised

the tools are there
its just matter of using them better
that is if anyone cares about it

I like the diy audio site the way it is. If you can't figure it out, then you are a retard. I like finding needles in hay stacks. Every now and then I get a good one and stick it in my arm...what a rush. You know, crack heads don't get crack for free, they "work" for it.

I think we should all sing for our supper.

Trees with ripe fruit hanging on the limbs just waiting for you to take it? What ever happened to planting and watering and nurturing the prospect?

I say, "hide all the best posts here under the carpet" and only the strong survive. Nelson Pass, John Curl and all the legends should flip everybody the bird and tell us all to take a hike. Go fly a kite. Go change the oil in your car. Go shovel the driveway. Go take yer better half out for sushi. Just...go. Go away with all the problematic bull that we generate by breathing the very air we take for granted.

That was a fun post. I feel better now but now I must go...

...we should do this. They should do that. Bla Bla Bla... my size 10 boot in yer assssk me no questions, I will tell you no lies, before you get hit with a bucket of shiiiit, be shure to close yer eyes.

Take the best of this site and glean it away to another site, locked with no open forum. Index the junk and title it well. Voila, a companion site! An index of projects! Why talk about it? If you want it, do it. Don't moan and groan about it. Exaybachay!

To the Mods: Now you really got me thinking. Can a seperate pool of donations be generated to fund the hosting of another website? Can a fund raiser be held here on DIY AUDIO to promote a companion site? "This site' in my mind would only be an index of stored projects organized by category. No open forum for debate but just a pure clinical index of projects, schematics, images and files. I know it can be done but can the DIY Audio Dudes spare the extension to bring it along?

If not, who cares? The DIY Audio community could build it themselves? I think there may be legalities and a bit of paper work but it is a labour of love. Why not? I do not have the money right now as I am out of work but I do have the time. Lets get together and make it happen?

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
One simple way I have seen the problem of updates, latest pcb etc dealt with at other forums is for the first post in the project thread to remain editable by the thread starter. The thread starter then just puts the latest info in the first post.

Sometimes they even have that first post remain sticky at the top of the page for each subsequent page of posts.

Another option would be to have an optional sticky "header" which has a link to a blog entry. The sticky header would need to be concise and possibly just have something like "for the latest details of this project click here to be taken to the blog entry". This could be put either at the top of each page, or to really hammer it home at the top of every post ;)

Of course it will be the project creators responsibility to keep the blog entry up to date.

Yet another option would be to have the same as above but have a wiki entry instead of a blog. This would mean that anyone could edit it (or perhaps a group of allowed editors could be defined), meaning it wouldn't be a sole persons responsibility to keep it up to date...

Just a few thoughts :) I too have found the thought of going through thousands of posts a bit daunting, as unfortunately I'm not a fast reader.

Tony.

Anyone who thinks getting help with DIY is hard these days should think back to the time before the internet. Monthly magazines that cost real money, photocopied data sheets you had to pay for and no one to turn to for help at all. It's all so easy and immediate now that I still occasionally have to pinch myself that I'm not dreaming. The downside is that it no longer feels quite so 'exclusive' or clever.

Another aspect is that globalisation has made electronic gizmos so cheap (for those lucky enough to live in the right places - for now) that the financial justification for DIY has gone completely. I have the feeling that most DIY-ers get their kicks from the mechanical side of things, taking pleasure from selecting the 'finest' components and using the thickest, purest wire.

Folks, we already have that facility. Just write up your project as an article, and submit it to Mark, (Variac), our editor in chief.

NO! Variac nor nobody else can touch this. This site runs as a public forum open to opinion and leaves the providers total legal warranty open and void. Mouse, they ARE not liable for what is said or posted here, it is an open forum! When you take topics to the side, then you open an entire new can of worms. It is a labour of love but the authors of their work could sign off and have their work indexed and categorized at a specialty site...not here. NOT UNLESS DIY AUDIO SIGNS OFF the legal. NOT unless the designer signs off the legal.

DIY-ers get their kicks from the mechanical side of things, taking pleasure from selecting the 'finest' components and using the thickest, purest wire.

I am a firm beleiver that the physical location of the project is a huge cost. I am also a firm believer that pcb trails need to be "thickened up" to reach project goals when designs go into the 4 ohm realm. There is a poster from the UK and his name is Andrew, he is harsh but he always enforces the ultimate fundamentals. I love his rants, so long as they are not pointing at me.

Sorry Mosfets, I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say here. Anything published on the internet has the same legal protection, (very little), wherever it is, and if you're thinking risk disclaimers, we already have them in our terms and conditions.

Then it is high time to make a seperate index, not a difficult and awkward one, just a simple index of projects. Why has it not yet happened? Mouse man, I think it will not come to be. Not under DIY AUDIO policy. I don't werk here but I have a feeling it won't go down.

Prove me wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Show me how simple it can be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love you mouse, no harm intended!
But come on? For real? Where is it? Why has it not been here years ago?

This site reads like a 2001 blog!

This is not the proper set up for high-tech audio gurus to hang out! Have the DIY AUDIO CHAPS had a look around the net? I'M NOT COMPLAINING HERE! I LOVE THIS SITE! BUT TAKE IT IN TO THE FUTURE man. In comparison to the the rest of the net world, this site is like contacting people on the bbs on my Apple II. I 'm joking but serious at the same time.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I like it this way .

I have no even a day of formal education in electronics , never worked for anyone else - learning craft , but I'm making my living from electronic almost 25 yrs.

if you can't figure out how to find there (even with help of other members) needed information or technical tip - then you most probably aren't enough equipped in gray cells department - so - stay away from lethal voltages and go away to lay a puzzles .

better organization and categorization needs more time - someone must be paid for doing that , in same time being responsible for that. is that possible ?

ask Jason ........ :rofl:

ZM spoke .

Attachments

• tongue10.gif
    tongue10.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 144
Go ahead and do it, if you like. You're being paid the same as the rest of us. :D

Wrong twice. Variac has complete editorial control of the articles section. This is NOT a public forum, it's privately owned.

Show me that on paper. You gotta be kidding? So what ever is posted here is open and commited by contract when signing up? Yeah? Really? Well I'm not going to sit here and debate that with the pros. No Sir, I will step down and swallow that frog! I'll back out and sign in again under a new ip address and read the "fine print" one more time.

With that said, I love you guys! How can we set up an index that is dry as Texas mud in June? A list that puts it down by project, with a few images, a few schematics and such? No bias in the index! A pure archive if you will. Help me out here, cause everybody else wants it so bad, and so did I when I first got here back in 2002.

P.S. I'm not a bad person but I do get frustrated!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.