Dying diy moral.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think part of the problem, if there is a problem, is that it is extremely hard to find the latest pcb, schematic etc. for ANY project by going to that thread..

I have heard this about my designs and forum posts too. Since I have my own forum, I should be able to do something about it. I'll look into it.

Mmmmm...... who chooses the projects, the mods?

No, but at least in the tubes forum it is obvious which ones are real popular just look at the number of posts. Maybe it makes sense to create a stiky at the top of the thread for the originator to post the latest version schematic and BOM. The real issue is that sometimes there are several different versions of the same build with widely different performance levels. Look at this one for example, versions exist from 18 WPC to 250 WPC:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/151206-posted-new-p-p-power-amp-design.html

Only thing worse would be to have someone spam your PM mailbox with "demands" that you tend to their post right here and now (yes, that has happened). Sorry.... I don't do this for a living. I have a day job and other commitments. You'll have to wait patiently for your time slot.

I get requests like this all the time too. Or I get a PM or email asking me for my preferences amongst several high dollar amps or components. I certainly don't have the time or the means to buy and test $$$$ OPT's. How can I have an opinion, and what makes my opinion any more valid than yours or anyone elses.

nah, it goes like...I am about to build 100 watts class A amplifier...what do I do now! help! you bastards...

Or, I have some 845 tubes show me how to build an amp with them. I have never built a tube amp before.

845 tubes work best on 900 to 1200 volts. It is not an amplifier to be considered by a first time builder. Yet I get this request often. I spend considerable time explaining why this is not a good idea (low probability of success, high risk of fried parts or worse) only to find an irate person who doesn't want to hear it.

Anyone who thinks getting help with DIY is hard these days should think back to the time before the internet. Monthly magazines that cost real money, photocopied data sheets you had to pay for and no one to turn to for help at all.

Add the public library, and the local trash dump! Say what? I learned electronics by experimenting, starting when I was quite young. Information was quite hard to find, but components were easy. All it took was a trip to the trash dump. Tubes, transformers, speakers, and everything else a kid needed to make a screaming guitar amp could be found by gutting old HiFi and TV sets. Now we have information overload, but parts are expensive and often hard to get. I guess we can't have everything.

I have no even a day of formal education in electronics , never worked for anyone else - learning craft , but I'm making my living from electronic almost 25 yrs.

I had no formal education. I worked in electronics for over 20 years until the company I work for paid for me to get a couple electronics engineering degrees!

And yes, there are things I would never post on this forum because I have to keep the best for paying customers! One has to eat and pay bills don't yer know

Yes, I am one of the people who sell PC boards to fund my experiments. All of the funds from board sales (plus a lot of personal funds and parts) goes into funding more electronics experiments. I have always, and will continue to post all of my experiments with pictures of the successes and the fried parts right here for all to see. If that means hot rodding a board sold by another forum member, and thereby promoting a "competitors" design, then so be it. Both of us have full time engineering jobs to pay the bills.

Yes sometimes it can be hard to find what you need amongst the zillions of posts here. I might understand amplifier designs, but I am a rookie speaker builder, but I spent a couple of months lurking and asking a few questions. I went out and listened to speakers at friends houses and HiFi stores to figure out what I wanted to make. Then I figured out what my budget was, researched driver and wood prices, AND took a realistic look at my woodworking abilities. Then I was able to go back through the forums and pick a design. First sounds flowed from them last night and it was good. These forums along with internet searches and some work on my part made it a lot easier than it would have been without the forums. DIY is alive and well. it just takes the Y and a little help from your friends here.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
So sharing the schematics of all my original designs which I offer as "one offs" to my customers and hopefully will one day manufacture should not effect my business? curiouser and curiouser....

naah .... just forget it .....

I didn't meant on entire schematics ; I understood that strictly in context of knowledge of experienced repair/service tech

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Maybe it makes sense to create a stiky at the top of the thread for the originator to post the latest version schematic and BOM.

A nice simple idea. Very worth looking into. The sticky thread is easy and nicely visible. It might be good if the thread were limited to the project leader(s).

Projects would need to be nominated and reviewed.

It might be good if the thread were limited to the project leader(s).

That was my thought.

Projects would need to be nominated and reviewed.

The reviewer should state if they actually built one, maybe with a picture or two. Builds that failed with an explanation are more important than the successes. There are always people who are glad to offer their expert opinion on something that they have never touched.

I read the articles section , like pinkmouse suggested. It was a potpourri of topics/projects , more of a storybook (excellent articles). Not the "to the point" BOM/PCB/SCHEMA that the inpatient builder wants.

by tubelab - The reviewer should state if they actually built one, maybe with a picture or two.

I actually put in the real picture with part # overlay .. plus bom,pcb,screen,schema in a 1-2meg zipfile. A good format would be a page or two of experiences/tips ,followed by the actual "package" (example below) with both a thread link and PM link so the constructor could comment or learn more. So , a "project submissions" guideline would be conducive to better quality and safety.
A basic description (keywords)
- wattage (2/4/8R)
- type (A , AB , H , etc.) and topology
- output stage description (mosfet , bjt , tube - comp/quasi)
- power supply range/requirements ( +/- 45-70V - 300VA ... etc.)
- simulations - measurements
Nobody would like to have negative feedback or high maintenance with a project , so I suspect the main contributers would submit only their best , trouble-free offerings. :)

OS

Attachments

• example.gif
    example.gif
    62.4 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
i am not here to complain but, going through 1000 of pages each containing 10 posts.
I can help you cut that down to only 200 pages (of 50 posts each).

On the dark blue bar at the top of this page, click on Quick Links. Go down and click on "Edit Options," the third link under "User Control Panel."

In the big "Thread Display Options" box is the option "Number of Posts to Show Per Page." I have mine set to "Show 50 posts per page." This way I do a lot more reading and a lot less navigating.

this link is invaild
Do you know how to read weblinks? Often, "invalid" links have something simple wrong with them and they can be fixed easily if one studies it for a moment. Here's what the problem link looks like:
Code:
http://http//www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid-state/154717-my-new-symasym-pcb-design-rev_1-3-a.htm
There's something here that's redundant (and the redundant part isn't quite right) that needs to be deleted for this to be a valid link. Have any ideas?

Okay, I'll tell you. A web URL is supposed to start with http:// and this does, but it's followed by another copy of that, and without the colon even. If you take out those six characters after the first two slashes, you'll find the link still doesn't work. But look at the URL for this page - it ends in .html, like all links on DIYAudio. The link in question only ends in .htm. If we add an "l" (lower case letter l), it then works. If you really want to help your fellow DIYaudio poster, you can post a response quoting the original link as you did, but with the corrected link, perhaps as text clarifying why you posted it such as:

Link fixed.

And as far as asking for help, there's a saying "Librarians help those who help themselves." If you walk into a library and start asking questions about where something is when the library is clearly marked, has computerized card catalogs, etc., you may come off as a bit annoying, relying too much on the librarian's help. If you spend some time looking for these yourself, you may eventually find it, but more, you will get experience in getting things yourself and find things faster the next time. Also, when you do eventually go to the librarian, he or she will have seen you try to find something yourself and will be more willing to help.

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
many real good suggestions here

and they might be convenient
though it could be an improvement, I doubt it will make a huge difference

take a look at F5
it is very carefully described, in every detail
ready to go you might say

and we still have a HUGE F5 thread
and members complaining its hard to find the special details
so people ask some of the same questions over and over again

that was the issue to begin with, as far as I remember

my question was, "who have the responsibility to keep a thread organised" ?
or who have the responsibility to open "subthreads" ?
etc etc

I remember offerering help to edit the title of a tech related thread starting with "happy new year"
it was refused with something like, "doesnt matter, and who cares anyway"

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
On second thought...
Too much structure is sometimes a bad thing. I say leave things as they are now. If you want to showboat all of your projects, create a website and link to it in your sig line.
None of the suggestions posed so far will make any of the annoying questions go away or increase the overall intelligence of the membership.

seems like we aggree

Perhaps you guys missed post #70
In the case where the original designer posts an update that would work well. In some cases like the thread I pointed to, Pete designed a simple easy to duplicate, conservatively designed 18 WPC tube amp. He stands by that design and many have (and continue to) built it exactly as posted. Pete has the original design documented on his web site. The link is post #1.

Some of us have taken that design, removed some conservatism, upgraded some components, doubled the B+ voltage and extracted a wee bit more power. Both are valid designs and both are being built by other forum members. Maybe this is a case where the thread could be split, or two sets of design packages could be posted. The last few hundred posts or so deals with the hotrodding.

With nearly 700 posts we get questions asked that are clearly answered in the thread but there are people that just don't want to read it all. Too bad they might learn why some decisions were made, and how I blew the amp up several times learning what not to do before settling on the design that I am using now which is cheap, reliable and cranks out 125 WPC.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
.... but there are people that just don't want to read it all. Too bad they might learn why some decisions were made.........

spot on, ofcourse

but please remember theres huge difference from following a thread day by day, or reading it all in one take

I have tried with some threads
or even with threads I had already read

even when reading carefully, its very easy to miss bits and pieces here and there
and I admit, when trying to find the important few posts you need, its quite boring to read through numerous non releated posts
so you start skimming, and then easily misses the needed ones

maybe it would be a good idea with some kind index with direct to important posts
but I dont know how
other than maybe if a couple of members thought of it as a fun "project"
well, I have my own "collection" of link to posts I thought I might need later on
but now so many its still hard to find the right posts with needed info :eek:
but I know its in there, somewhere :)

well, sometimes it sure is nice to have a fellow like Troels Gravesen, and his huge site and many projects
easy and safe to say, "go look there, Im sure you will find a good project"

wonder if anyone read the whole post, or even just skimmed half of it :rolleyes:

even when reading carefully, its very easy to miss bits and pieces here and there and I admit, when trying to find the important few posts you need, its quite boring to read through numerous non releated posts

I have noticed this even when it's a thread about one of my designs. Sometimes the thread goes cold for a while, then a few months later gets new life, and people start asking you questions, and I need to re-read all of my posts. It takes a while, and sometimes a few passes before you remember what you said, and why you said it. The thread started like this:

Eli was suggesting a 6L6 AB2 design based on Mullard 5-20 topology with 12AT7 front end and ECC99 LTP and Mosfet source followers. Respecting the original thread, Eli asked to start this new one. I am interested in progressing with this design, looking for any assistance

550 posts and 2 years went by, the original poster got his amp built, but more important, the design work from concept to working amp, actually occurred right there on this forum with experiments and work carried out on opposite sides of the planet, and a design experience was had by all participants. I still re-read this thread from time to time to remind me of what went right. Maybe I'll find the time to finish my amp.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/133034-6l6gc-ab2-amp.html?highlight=6l6gc+ab2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.