(Digital) Signal Processing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was thinking about Hilbert transforms earlier on (like you do...), and I did a google search. The first site I clicked on was an interesting tutorial. Looking at the URL I extracted the domain name and got the index page. It has a menu option 'Tutorials'.

Complex technology made real

The site is actually titled 'Complex communications technology made easy.'

The tutorials are basically signal processing, and that implies digital, these days, although analog subjects such as noise, the PDF and PSD are also covered.

Much of this is beyond the normal scope of audio, and the treatments are necessarily mathematical, but audio is an important part of signals, and much of signals is relevant to audio. If you're curious about, or even know something about things like Nyquist, the DFT, filters and coding, or even what a Hilbert transformer is good for, you may find something of interest or use there.

w

Signal processing is a whole huge subject all of its own.

I once used a FFT Fast Fourier Transform to read vibrations from a car and tell you what speed the engine was running at. It was because someone wanted to know the engine speed without lifting the bonnet.

With the advent of very fast digital signal processors this has opened up lots of possibilities for audio processing digitally.

Attachments

• hamiltonian.png
    hamiltonian.png
    171.6 KB · Views: 66
That site appears to have an RF/communications focus, and discusses a lot of RF modulation schemes that may be interesting but appear to have little to do with audio except that the modulated signal often happens to be audio.

Here's a very good, quite readable book online that covers general DSP and I find more applicable to audio:
The Scientist and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing

For a more in-depth treatment of all the mathematics and such, there's the "real" bible of DSP, "Discrete-Time Signal Processing," but I don't find that one necessary unless you're taking a college course that requires it. The print copy costs a lot more than DSPGuide, and it's not available from the author/publisher as a free download, either.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.