Replacing Lamp Sockets To One With Higher Power Rating?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Okay, this is not strictly an electronic problem, but I figured an electrical problem was close enough.

I would like very much to purchase the lamp table pictured below. It can also be seen here:
Medium Oak Side Table With Lamp Leick Furniture End Tables Accent Tables Furnishings

However, from reading other websites I find that the socket in the lamp only takes up to 60 watt bulbs. The person this is being given to will use this for reading, and a 150 watt lamp is preferred.

Is it any big deal to replace the socket in the lamp with one which will take a 150 watt bulb?

PS: "Some assembly required" for this unit, so the lamp stalk will not be attached to the table yet when purchased.

Attachments

• End table.jpg
    End table.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
I thought that the screw-in fluorescents of 150 watt equivalent were too large to fit into the windowshade mounting apparatus, but I have been advised by someone who uses the bulbs that this is not the case.

Thank you both very much for your advice, I now feel free to order the unit and install a screw-in fluorescent when I assemble it. I felt very leery of exceeding the manufacturer's electrical ratings, now I know I don't have to. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.