Amplifier Overheating?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a Pioneer SA 930 Stereo amplifier. I have left room in the cabinet for ventilation. To-day I laid a thermometer on top of the amplifier and it reached 92 degrees Fahrenheit after about 15 minutes.Is this a cause for concern? I live in Southern Australia, and the temperature in our house this morning is 20 degrees celsius [70 degrees F]
Thanks, JT

Thanks, wwenze.My old amplifier never got warm. When I finally discarded it a few months ago, I was told that I should buy a heavy one. My informant said that the heavier,the better the quality-and the better the quality of sound. I didn't realize that the one I bought would consume more electricity. Here in Australia we are busy replacing our light globes throughout the house,in order to help the environment. Can you tell me if my amplifier will consume more electricity the more the volume is turned up. Thanks JT.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
JT: If you want to save power, turn the amp off when you aren't using it.

Unless you play your music at party levels all the time, you likely will not notice any difference in power consumption when you change the volume.

If you really want to know the power draw, get yourself a watt meter. I used one called "Kill-a-watt" (about $20 at Amazon.com) and it seem to do what it was supposed to. In some countries, you can borrow one at the library (yes, really! Denmark does that) or the power company.

I was mostly worried about stand-by consumption of my TV. My conclusion that watching a hockey game on a Saturday afternoon used 10x the power that the TV set used during stand-by the entire week. So I quit worrying about it and just turn stuff off when I don't use it.

~Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.