RGB Imput on 1985 Sony KV-25XBR Trinitron TV...what does it do?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all.

i have this Wonderful Sony KV-25XBR Trinitron TV Manufactured in September,1985...which would make it a little over 25 Years old...and still functioning Perfectly...has an Excelent Picture,and Enough AV Imputs to Sastify my Needs.

what im Wondering is what that 34 Pin RGB Connector on the Back Does?

i know its supposed to connect to some AV Equipment but What?

will anything today connect to that?...i mean...cause its a 1985 TV so it might be abit outdated?

or is it still used today?

RGB - Red Green Blue.

Some systems usd the video broken down into the three basic color signals plus sync signals for vertical and horizontal. This is how most arcade game video monitors were wired. Most monitors in that industry accepted either positive or negative sync signals.

I couldn;t tell you what sorts of things spit out that sort of video for the consumer market. But that is what RGB is about.

There was such a thing as "component" TV in the '80s, kind of a early stab at "home theater". A TV would consist of a monitor and a separate tuner box; the TV might have RGB as well as baseband and possibly chroma/luma inputs. IBM PC CGA cards would probably work with that RGB input, and RGB adapter cards were available for some other home computers. I have one in my ancient Apple ][+ clone. The nearly as ancient ATI EGA Wonder cards could do interlaced (=flicker) EGA onto CGA or TV monitors.

My boss owned a two piece Zenith, and I remember looking at a big one-piece RCA that had RGB on the back.

I believe that Sony Playstations have RGB out on the A/V connector, although finding a cable that implements that may be a challenge. Maybe a UK SCART cable does.

And, I'm fairly sure I had a DVD player with RGB as an output option.

Last edited:
Hello all.

i have this Wonderful Sony KV-25XBR Trinitron TV Manufactured in September,1985...which would make it a little over 25 Years old...and still functioning Perfectly...has an Excelent Picture,and Enough AV Imputs to Sastify my Needs.

what im Wondering is what that 34 Pin RGB Connector on the Back Does?

i know its supposed to connect to some AV Equipment but What?

will anything today connect to that?...i mean...cause its a 1985 TV so it might be abit outdated?

or is it still used today?

Wow this is really strange. For no reason this morning I was recollecting to someone that I used order a complete service manual/schematic of every piece of AV gear that I bought. Yes this was SONY's first entry into high-end video. There was a companion piece T1100 component tuner with some very early high-end features. Unfortunately I've thrown away the schematics. This was as good as it got back then. I think you can DIY a simple Y-Pr-Pb to RGB board if you had the energy. I'm also not sure if sync on green was invented yet.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
As the owner of two KV-25XBR's , I know the answer to this question: Sony made a little modular adapter for the mystery 34 pin connector you spotted on the back of your set. It actually worked to pass IBM-PC CGA video signals into the set via a quasi-RGB fashion. The model of the adapter was PC-701 ...there's one for sale right now on Ebay:

SONY PC-701 RGB INTERFACE ADAPTER | eBay

I own one of these and actually used it for awhile with an old PC...the quality was average
Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.