Are you a music lover or audiophile?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After hearing snippets of the same songs over and over when the local speakerbuilding group gets together, I have been thinking that I'm more of a music lover than audiophile. Don't get me wrong I'm rabid about accurate musical reproduction.

But for me, the best value for my stereo is more music. So I thought it would be interesting to set a metric of stereo cost (all your gear now), vs, all your media cost. Here's mine:

Main system (all homebrew and vintage): $5K

Refurbished vintage gear: $3K

Hardware total: $8K

~1000 CD's (@$15): $15K

~500 LP's (@$10): $5K

Software total: $20K

So my music lover ratio is: $20K/$8K = 2.5

Anybody else want to play?

Sheldon

ROTFL, Circlo.

To be sorta on topic, the media/hardware has been a pretty good indicator. I guess I still fall into the music lover as I have probably 3 times as much in the software as hardware (I too cringe when I think about the total cost of the 1200 cds I have here at the house. But that is almost 20 years of collecting, so its not that much, is it? (seeking enablers...)

But what about the future where they don't want us to own the media any more? Or the kids who have gigs of mp3s? I hesitate to call the noise that comes out of the 120watt 2" computer speakers music, but love it they do.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
With about 5000 records & 60 CDs, and a big push towards the limits of a Frugal-phile (tm) system my music to hardware ratio is really getting up there. If i use the metric set in the 1st post:

5000x10 + 60x15 = 50,900 (that's really cheating because i buy all my CDs used cheap). Current main system runs less than $1000 but is in major flux.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
AKSA said:
You really should build your AKSA amp to get a different slant on things!

Yes i should... still won't push the system price over $1k... currently using a Don Stenton Signature amp.

pinkmouse said:
I actually spend most of my time listening to the radio

Actually i do to... the hifi is on 24/7 and when not spinning vinyl or listening to the odd CD we are listening (or sleeping) to KPLU.

dave

Me too , mouse

My radio listening has gone up several orders of magnitude since I got XM (Satellite radio for you non-US folks). Having the opportunity to hear something besides the same old thing over and over - and the chance to hear things I have never heard before...

And since I got the PCR, a radio connected to the PC, it is even worse. The software lists the 100 or so channels, who is playing and what is playing, so you can just glance to see if there is something playing. You can also create lists of artists so no matter where it is playing, it will tune to it.

The record monopolies, along with the big media companies, fought SDARs. My record buying habits since I got XM really points out how stupid that was... I have bought 10x as many records once I had the chance to actually hear them first.

(those in Europe will get Satellite radio pretty quick if they can figure out how to get around all the legal mess of the countries that it would broadcast into. I know one of the companies who is trying.)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I am a music lover and equally audiophile.
I buy many CDs to enjoy different music all the time.
I have also changed several hifi systems.
For the time being music/system rate is greater than 1.
If I however count all the money spent for the old systems,
the amount makes the rate much less than 1.

Anyhow, I wish I could make the rate greater than 10. :)

JH

Um the Limit of 1/X as X approaches 0 is infinity if my calc serves me right.

I think I've spent about twice as much on hadware than on music.
I own about 30 CD's and I've put about $500 into my setup so far, and will be putting about $1000 more over the next few months.

"Or the kids who have gigs of mp3s? I hesitate to call the noise that comes out of the 120watt 2" computer speakers music, but love it they do."

Hey!! I have some mp3's just bought a sound card with 7.1 output, using digi-optical cable. And yes we do love our noise :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.