Potentiometers log vs linear

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Volume controls are in 99.9 % of the cases logarythmic types because human ears are not too linear.

In the case of an inverted Gainclone you'll see that ( because of that particular topology ) a linear type is used. The way it is used in that schematic causes "log-like" behaviour.

Linear vs log

Thanks Jean-Paul;

Do I understand this right? A linear taper increases the volume in a linear fashion ie: 1/4 turn = 25% increase in volume, 1/2 turn = 50% increase in volume etc etc.

A log taper will increase the volume level a lot more during the first 50% of travel, then during the next 50% of travel the volume level becomes less and less ( more compressed ) or is the other way around. What am I missing??

Doug

jean-paul said:
Volume controls are in 99.9 % of the cases logarythmic types because human ears are not too linear.

In the case of an inverted Gainclone you'll see that ( because of that particular topology ) a linear type is used. The way it is used in that schematic causes "log-like" behaviour.

shouldn't this apply to every amp that has negative feedback?

log vs linear

Thanks once again Jean-Paul:)

I am aware that the ear is a very non linear device ie: it dosent hear all frequencies equally well, especially at low volumes levels. The ears response flattens out as the overall volume level is increased. This is based on the equal loudness curves developed by Fletcher Munson. Attached is a link for those who are interrested.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/eqloud.html

Doug

Gainclone

jean-paul said:

I'm not familiar with the " gainclone " design, although I've seen the name before, could you fill me in?

My son was in Toronto recently and has just discovered tube amps. He listens to headphones a lot and I have been thinking about getting him a kit amp for next Christmas for his first experience. It wont be the highest end amp, but wont be the lowest end either. Do any of you guys have any suggestions?

Doug

Re: POTS IN FB.

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Non, La France...:)

Normally the volpot is not included in the FB loop...

If you do, the settings of the pot inevitably influence the FB loop and vice versa...tricky stuff..

Cheers,;)

Fais gaffe ou j'ouvre un topic sur les blagues belges ;)

I see what you mean, the gainclone is one of the tricky stuff you're talking about
and many other amps, in fact, every amp with nfb on it's 1st stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.