Windows 7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Homage to an advert that aired tonight in the uk due to the release of windows 7:

"I was sat in the back of a taxi when it struck me! I want an operating system that clogs my screen with 10s of unreadable thumbnails of all the windows I have open when I put my mouse cursor in the wrong place. I want something that makes my life easier by not letting me open more than one window of a program I have pinned on a user friendly task bar.... so, I told microsoft, and they created windows 7. I made windows 7!"

Oh yeah, another pointless UI 'innovation' I forgot to mention:

Have you ever had the urge to find something on your desktop and the strain of moving your mouse down to the 'show desktop' button was just too much? Would you also like the currently active window to stay in focus as you do so, only for it to disappear as soon as you click on the thing on your desktop you were looking for in the first place?

Never fear! With new improved windows 7 (sins?) all it takes is a frantic wobbling of your cursor while holding down left click on the bar of your window to make your dreams come true! "Aero Shake(tm)" Because your time is worthless.....

That's where multi-booting comes in handy :)

You could have XP on one patition, Win7 on another and something useful on a third ;)

Cheers!

I have Win XP on anotehr hard drive and boot normally into Vista.

The change from XP to Vista threw up some oddities.
My white text on a dark background turned to white text on a grey background on mouseover in Vista!

I use the .net framework now and that is included in Vista and Win 7.
But its a pain for XP users as they have to download it before the software will work.

My Win 7 is in the post but I dont expect any problems this time as WIn 7 is close to Vista in functionality.

Once upon a time in another life I overhauled and repaired model 40's and the other "mechanical" guys did Model 25's and 37's - with punched tape :eek:

That's why I get philosophical about this stuff -- my Dell laptop stinks in current terms, but while it warms up I pour myself a W&S -- but we used RTTY on 20 meters 40 years ago to chat with folks in Africa (remember Robert Morley as the Rev. Sayer in "The African Queen"?).

I never, ever repaired a TTY, wouldn't dare open the thing up, but never experience one that was broke -- I think we got ours from some radio station in 8-land --

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That's where multi-booting comes in handy :)

You could have XP on one patition, Win7 on another and something useful on a third ;)

Even better... get an Intel Mac with VMWare and you can run OS X, Windows 7 (and Vista, XP, et all, even DOS), Linux, Solaris, BeOs.... all at the same time (lotsa RAM needed if you get carried away).

dave

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Microsoft seem to think that making Windows look a little different each time is enough to call it an upgrade.
Makes you wonder why they never got it right in the first place !

They also like to completely re-invent all of the administrative functions, or at least move them somewhere different... It doesn't make it any easier or better, but certainly assures plenty of revenue though roalties on "authorised" courses so that IT professionals can re-learn how to do the same things in the newest version... Maybe a tad cynical, but I suspect there is some truth to it ;)

Tony.

Even better... get an Intel Mac with VMWare and you can run OS X, Windows 7 (and Vista, XP, et all, even DOS), Linux, Solaris, BeOs.... all at the same time (lotsa RAM needed if you get carried away).

dave

OR you could just partition the hard drive skip the lame crap EMULATOR and actually run the os like its actually being run on a pc. ( much better than emulating )

Windows 7 is the hardest os ever to fix, i say screw it and install linux ubuntu :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OR you could just partition the hard drive skip the lame crap EMULATOR and actually run the os like its actually being run on a pc. ( much better than emulating )

It is not emulation, it is virtualization. Very little is lost to overhead. This is quickly becoming the defacto standard way of running servers.... ie multiple virtual Windows or Unix machines on a single box.

Only possible because Intel built it into the chips.

dave

It is not emulation, it is virtualization. Very little is lost to overhead. This is quickly becoming the defacto standard way of running servers.... ie multiple virtual Windows or Unix machines on a single box.

Only possible because Intel built it into the chips.

dave

Yet another reason why to never buy webhosting from a virtual server.

Dedicated linux host or dedicated machine, or loose clients.

In any argument, windows just keeps getting bloated and less reliable, so many people have converted to mac, gee wonder why.!

In any argument, windows just keeps getting bloated and less reliable, so many people have converted to mac, gee wonder why.!

I'm afraid I just went the other way as 20 months with an iMac was enough. I nicknamed it mudguard.... shiny on top and full of rubbish underneath.

Have gone back to a new PC and XP and what a relief. I used to bag Windows until I was running Leopard which is super bloatware. Prior to selling the iMac I upgraded to Snow Leopard and some of the Apple 2008 apps (apparently designed for Leopard) didn't work without patches. If MS Office 2007 didn't run on the latest Windows version there would be an uproar but that behaviour on an Apple tends to be accepted.

I did run Bootcamp so I could still use XP but wasn't the best method in actual use. I previously tried VMware Fusion but had issues.

I will say I loved the iMac keyboard and have bought one to use with XP as it suits my disability.... extremely good to use with a light touch. Another good point for the iMac is it retained it's value very well and didn't lose a great deal with the experience. I'm lucky I sold it last week before the new iMacs were released.

After 25 years of PCs I had high hopes for the iMac but it didn't deliver for me and my uses.

Awww ,how can we pick on something so new ? Since I can go back to this install (XP) in 32 seconds with ghost , Why not give M$ a chance. Download a (couple copies - attachment) for educational use :spin::) :D , if it stinks like Veeesta , I'll let ya know !!
OS

Attachments

• pirate7.gif
    pirate7.gif
    35.3 KB · Views: 230
Awww ,how can we pick on something so new ? Since I can go back to this install (XP) in 32 seconds with ghost , Why not give M$ a chance. Download a (couple copies - attachment) for educational use :spin::) :D , if it stinks like Veeesta , I'll let ya know !!
OS

how many viruses are stored inside them iso's of winblows 7 ? How many back door installers running and taking your usernames and passwords the first week u use it ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.