Windows 7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
XP - 32 bit
Win7 - 64 bit.

sorry, should've mentioned it.

I run as admin, unrestricted account. Not the safest way, but I guess I'll be fine. Never visit more than 8-9 sites, and am pretty careful at the ones I think are marginal.

Why run as admin?

This is the first security measure M$ was trying to implement.
Anything you download or click on gets run with the privileges of the user logged on.

If there's a driver for Vista SP1, it should run on Win7.
That can also be for XP SP3 too.

.........extended verbal diahrrea.........

Although I strongly disagree with you on 90% of what you said, I think there's one thing we can agree on. There's way too many self-taught techs in this world who claim to know alot about computers. The problem with being a know-it-all and not having the knowledge to back it up is you get yourself into situations outside of your realm of comphrehension. I had a teacher who started his class by saying this:

"Amateur computer 'techs' get themselves into trouble because they tend to think they know everything. The problem is they don't know enough to realize how little they actually know."

He was definitely right. Techs like that tend to get in trouble because they don't know their boundries. They think they know it all and will present themselves as knowing all about something that in reality they don't truely understand. When a tech does this, It usually ends up making the tech look like an idiot. I'm sure you can think of a PC tech like that right? Someone who says they know it all but really doesn't have a clue? If you don't, go look in the mirror. :headshot:

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The VM does not support network printers, there's a lengthy blog rant about that. Also, the VM is a specific mode for XP only, called "XP mode" for legacy applications that don't 'get' 7. Apparently totally transparent, with mirroring between structures (uses the user's Win7 desktop and libraries, instead of ones buried deep inside the folder structure).

Never used it, as none of my applications have refused to work on 7 except Daemon Tools, so I still need a good virtual CD/DVD software that is free and has a small memory footprint.

Why run as admin?

Laziness... :ashamed:

If you have been running a PC for 10 or 15 years you have purchased and owned the subprograms like Excel and Office. Microsoft does not give them away with the new OS like they used to. They also do not provide a method of transferring the software you already purchased onto your new machine. Just how many times must you purchase the same software?
I would be quite happy to buy the OS upgrades and install them on my current machine without having to start from scratch each time.
Microsoft the once mighty giant like IBM is going to make the users so unhappy with there games they will eventually move elsewhere -- hence the resurrection of the Mac and others.
I think the Chinese have a new product out which will give us all cheaper options and they do not have to deal with patent infringement issues. Read the latest headlines on Bill Gates nervous headaches. Vista has caused too many problems and I think the snowball has started downhill.
A rerelease of a revved up 64 bit XP with extras would go a long way to build customer confidence.
Count me unhappy. I like you work hard for my money.

Tad

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Peranders, too much hassle, every time they release a new OS it takes a few years to get it working properly. Many companies are just starting to install XP and they'll probably skip Vista completely. The professional series notebooks still ship with XP, too, last time I looked.

i dont' think so, untill win7 microsoft update has never been a technological step forward. they just changes some graphics and messed up the code to do it. i think people is just clever enough to recognize that a thing that works smooth is the most thechnological advanced and not the one that shines more.

good to apple is they always hide good engeenering and software optimization underneath their OS upgrades. although it took several months for leopard to became smooth as latest updates of tiger, and so it is with snow leopard, i can see some issues of the latter on my macbook, expecially safari sometimes has unmotivated idle times (perhaps it is stable for the first time, it was very easy to have safari crash on leopard): anyway since most of a computer life is spent on the web it's a shame we still don't have chrome browser (the only good one).

reagarding audition (formerly cool edit) have you tried wine? maybe there's a chance, also there is a linux distribution (whose name i don't remember) that is devoted to audio production that maybe has some equivalent software within (http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1011452.html). good to everyone is Adobe is a major partner of google in the development of the new chromeOS so there's a good chance we will see the creative suite on it...

Welcome to Aviary
this is an interesting experiment of building a creative suite over the web, very netbook wise, it certainly can't quite cut it for pro working, but given that many people is using photoshop just to resize images... it has a audio software too, everything heavily in development.

Last edited:
Peranders, too much hassle, every time they release a new OS it takes a few years to get it working properly. Many companies are just starting to install XP and they'll probably skip Vista completely. The professional series notebooks still ship with XP, too, last time I looked.
Ericsson, the big company, has used W2000 until this spring and now they have Vista... and the adventure has begun. Ericsson has lot's of old software and you can surely figure out what this mean. I wonder if they will start to use a mixed environment with Vista/W7 or if they will use Vista 5-10 years ahead?

Attachments

• minisdark.jpg
    minisdark.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 110
If you have been running a PC for 10 or 15 years you have purchased and owned the subprograms like Excel and Office. Microsoft does not give them away with the new OS like they used to. They also do not provide a method of transferring the software you already purchased onto your new machine. Just how many times must you purchase the same software?
I would be quite happy to buy the OS upgrades and install them on my current machine without having to start from scratch each time.

This is a pretty legit gripe about Win 7 although, when you buy software they DO give you an installer (CD, downloaded file, etc.) of some sort. Still though, there's no upgrade path from XP to 7. Even if you're re-using your old hardware you must do a clean install of the OS and thus re-install all your programs. You can use their data migration wizard to transfer your personal data/settings over but theres such substantial differences in file system structure among other things that you can't just plop a Win 7 DVD and click "UPGRADE" on your XP machine.

Of course, after 6-10years of having an OS installed, it's bound to be overloaded with junk you probably don't want anymore so a clean install isn't such a bad idea in many cases.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The culture is very different and it's much more easier to sell new OS versions.

With Snow Leopard priced at $30 USD it is a no-brainer if you have an Intel Mac (functionally equivalent to one notch above the most expansive version of WIndows 7).

And now with the new MacMini server, you can by unlimited AppleShare Server at about the same price as 10 user Windows (2003) Server and get a free server to run it on.

(edit: i got beat to the MacMini server)

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.