20 channel IR transmitter/receiver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do you need it to actually communicate 20 separate channels? Or do you just need to send 20 channel information?

In other words, like MIDI, you could send one signal path but the information for each receiving channel could be tagged with a channel ID before sending. The receiver ignores any information not preceded by its channel number.

You could then multiplex those data streams.

Or I could even be overthinking this. How complex are the 20 ssignals? My TV remote has at least 20 channels - ten numbers, volume up nad down, channel up and down, etc. Each one only sends that it is on or not, nothing further, but the receiver takes each number or function signal and decodes it for use in the various parts of the TV.

The other end of that spectrum would be trying to feed for example 20 audio streams down the same pipe simultaneously.

Thanks for reply.
My need is same as the TV or other remote works, where transmitter sends the desired information when any button is pressed with its respective code. The receiver then decodes that which button is pressed and its respective output is delivered.

I mean I need a remote controller which can turn on/off 20 different things.

How about this. FInd a remote for something and use it. You can tap into the switch circuits, and the IR LED in the thing is your transmitter. Then steal an IF remote receiver module from a dead stereo or TV. It is a little cube. You could then decode the pulse trains as needed.

And depending on what you want to control, there are systems like the "X10" system for home automation. COntrols for that can either be wireless or transmitted through the house wiring. The control inouts control remote power modules for turning lights on and off, or whatever.

I used to use some X10 at my home. I used one for my electric blanket. On a winter evening, I could press button #2 on the control pad in my living room, and it turned on the blanket in my bedroom upstairs. By the time I went up to bed, it was warmed. I also used it for various lighting around the house. The power modules can handle some serious mains current.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.