How do you shrink heatshrink?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is what I use for about 90%

Attachments

• weller 260 wattts.jpg
    weller 260 wattts.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 309
Cigarette lighter, bought specifically for the job (I don't smoke) for the Princely sum of £1 :D

You are limited to being able to rotate the workpiece with this though, as the lighter flame can only go up. Some blowtorches (like a mini cooks one) can go at all angles, but it seems excessive and likely to damage surrounding parts.

Weller Pyropen butane powered soldering iron. It's far better than a proper heat gun for working in tight spaces, or where you want to shrink without melting a nearby component or wire jacket.

Somewhat expensive when I got it new, but there must be cheap knockoffs by now. It's been an extremely useful tool for soldering stuff that's too big or distant to fix on the test bench. Like trucks, saw mills, or a home stereo in Linz, Austria.

star882 said:
A hair dryer works nicely and will not melt the insulation like other methods could. Or just hold the section about half an inch above a hot soldering iron.

Well, try Star's way of doing it, and you'll find that not only is the risk of burning the heat-shrink not an issue, but if making a complete construction in one move, it's real smart.
Mount all the heat-shrink, but don't heat them one by one as you go, but just leave it in place til you're all done, then 5 minutes with the hair dryer will shrink them all in one go.

Magura :)

Next time I'm trying massive heat-shrinking all-in-one-go construction, that's gonna be awesome !

The reason I'm asking this is because I've developed some form of heatshrink addiction, I wrap everything in color-coded heat-shrink in the final stages of the casework. It's so ... colorful (yeah, I use colored heatshrink all over the place ...)

Magura said:
Well, try Star's way of doing it, and you'll find that not only is the risk of burning the heat-shrink not an issue, but if making a complete construction in one move, it's real smart.
Mount all the heat-shrink, but don't heat them one by one as you go, but just leave it in place til you're all done, then 5 minutes with the hair dryer will shrink them all in one go.

Magura :)
The issue I had with using a lighter was not burning the heatshrink, but melting the insulation on the wires. I started using a hair dryer when I found that it gets hot enough. (Look for one that is also designed for styling to be sure.)

Another trick is to put a little hot glue on the connection before the heat shrinking. The heat will melt the hot glue and seal the connection from moisture as well as make it more solid mechanically. Did that on some telephone wiring and it works great. The local ISP does something similar with the broadband lines, but with a special silicone instead of hot glue.

star882 said:
Another trick is to put a little hot glue on the connection before the heat shrinking. The heat will melt the hot glue and seal the connection from moisture as well as make it more solid mechanically.

In fact, you can buy adhesive lined heatshrink tubing, it is indeed useful stuff. I need some for my measuring mic :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.