Powering a Mitsubishi headunit with a computer power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I've seen posts of people that powered there aftermarket headunits with computer power supplies but I wanted to try to power my factory headunit with a power supply as I recently replaced it.

I just have no idea where to start but I would imagine I would need some type of wiring harness for my headunit and then from there I have no idea how to connect the power supply to the HU.

Any help/suggestions would be great.

P1020113.jpg

well you are going to need the wiring harness for sure. then you will need to know what all the wires are in the harness. you will need to find the +12v battery connection and the +12acc (key on) connection and ground. to at least get started.

A computer power supply, the old old AT type ones that just have a on/off switch work best. these have red, yellow and black wires. If i remember correctly and i may be wrong, use a meter to make sure. I think the yellow and black are the +12v lines, the red being +5v if i remember correctly.

The newer power supply's for ATX type boards require connecting one of the main wires in the harness to a switch and then to ground i think. Im sure if you googled you can figure out how to make it work. MOST switching power supplies require some type of load before the supply will run correctly. you may have to wire a 12 tail lamp bulb or a resistor to the supply as well to get it to turn on and run. just have to play with it and find out.

Sorry im not much help but that's a pointer in a direction anyway.

dave_gerecke said:
I'm not going to guarantee it, but the 13 pin connector on the right in the picture looks like a connector for hooking up a CD changer.

Peace,

Dave

Zero Cool said:
yup cd changer

Makes sense since I do have a factory CD changer but how do I hook up speakers then? Or is this not possible? (ie the wiring harness hooked into the car houses the connections for the speakers?)

You will have to find a way to look at the factory electrical diagram, it will show you the pinout of the two row multipin connector. That one will have the hookups for power, gnd, memory power and your speakers. You might try doing a search of the 'net for the electrical connections for the factory radio in your car. You may find someone who has posted it.

Peace,

Dave

The connector in the centre is called a DIN plug and there are various types of then depending in the brand of the head unit, there are adaptors to mount one brand in another car, so what you need is one DIN plug and then, almost all DIN plugs say which wire is what.

Sorry for the confuse writing.

dave_gerecke said:
You will have to find a way to look at the factory electrical diagram, it will show you the pinout of the two row multipin connector. That one will have the hookups for power, gnd, memory power and your speakers. You might try doing a search of the 'net for the electrical connections for the factory radio in your car. You may find someone who has posted it.

Peace,

Dave

Ok, that makes sense now.

russo said:
The connector in the centre is called a DIN plug and there are various types of then depending in the brand of the head unit, there are adaptors to mount one brand in another car, so what you need is one DIN plug and then, almost all DIN plugs say which wire is what.

Sorry for the confuse writing.

Yeah, I just figured that out as I ordered the reverse wiring harness.

coloradosound said:
I think one would get much cleaner audio by using
just a good ol' well regualted/filtered 12V linear supply,
but hey, diy is all about playing around anyway!

I couldn't agree with you more but I just want to see if I'm able to do it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.