self learning electronics on DIYaudio.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Pass and Curl both have Physics degrees. EDIT :One is over 60 years old, one almost END EDIT. and have spent their lives on the subject. It isn't clear that any of the people you mentioned are "doctors" The have been very clever and lucky to be able to do it as a profession.There are other very clever people that haven't been able to do this for various reasons. It's like saying How long until I am a professional basketball player? "Probably never" is the answer. Dx is a hobbiest, and that is something more attainable. Just build "over a thousand amps" as he say he has and you will probably know a lot.

First step- go to school..be it a university or a trade school or local college about electronics. It takes incredible discipline to learn this on your own, Do you have that discipline?Few do, so I'll guess that you don't. As I said it's a hands on thing as well as a book thing.

If you can't do that, The Electronic Experimental Kit type thing that Anatech mentions various times is a very good idea. People here help others as volunteers - when they have time. They aren't obligated to, and will tire quickly of constant questioning-Especially when their answers don't seem to help.

The thread will not be reopened because
-we don't allow ongoing discussions between customers here in public because it is often impossible to determine who is at fault, and it can harm reputations.

-People have tried to help you and failed repeatedly, for whatever reasons , so it appears that further efforts are pointless.

:captain:

i have enrolled on a course before actually but i never completed it and dropped out. There were parts of the course which I didn't like and weren't relevant.

The thread should be opened because:

People have tried to help you and failed repeatedly, for whatever reasons , so it appears that further efforts are pointless

I think this is spite. As I said I have some new questions now. I could start another thread but I thought it would be better to post it there.

we don't allow ongoing discussions between customers here in public because it is often impossible to determine who is at fault, and it can harm reputations.

This is what Anatech wrote:

Hi Hugh,
How about we leave this open?
Normally, it is no one's business how you interact with a customer. Also, there is no way we can know all the details.
So all comments toward relating to how Hugh should handle a customer are clearly out of bounds. They can't possibly be constructive anyway.

Which is clearly at odds with what you say.
Somehow this has become an issue of protecting Hughs reputation!

Very strange.

Professor smith said:
i am very impatient though so how long would it take for me to start to understand these things and be on the same footing as people such as Dr. Carlos and Dr. Nelson Pass? Lets keep in mind I am a total beginner.

some 40+years ago I made a kit transistor radio :D given to me as a present, It started a life long interest in electronics. I joined the local radio amatur club at 10 and they used to teach basic theory to us youngsters for an hour on a friday evening, I recall we did not have a TV then....

In my teens I wandered Lisle street buying bits from the surplus shops (long gone now) to assist me in building various things mainly audio. A collection of books, my peers, The library, school physics and the local hams all added to my knowledge. I also accumulated test gear and other bits and pieces as the years passed.

So to answer your question, Study hard, head to university and learn then start working and really learning with the grounding school and Uni gave you. If you are engaged enough you may get to Nelson's level in a few decades, Me I never will. I'm happy to learn but the deep grounding from university is missing. :bawling:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Professor smith,
I feel I should comment briefly since some things are out of context in your last post.

I think this is spite.
Hardly.
What has been said by Variac is completely factual. You are free to think whatever you want of course, but make sure you also deal with undistorted facts. Ignoring time and intervening posts is one method of distorting a truth.

Somehow this has become an issue of protecting Hughs reputation!
No.
However, we will act to keep any other member from being harassed. But the thread was closed for a completely different reason. The reason was given as the last post. In fact, it was your actions that caused this to happen. Please read that final post again.

Which is clearly at odds with what you say.
How so? The only conflict was created by you when you quoted me (I haven't checked if it is an exact quote) without the time and additional posts in between my post and the closure of the thread.

Now, you say ...
well he is knowledgeable. Not genius but he is still a doctor nonetheless.
I don't understand why you are making a point of this. These members do not make a point of using the doctor title in their name. Why are you? In fact, why are you claiming to be a professor?

Does a member with a doctorate make all other members without a doctorate immaterial? I have found that you should listen to many different people, no matter what letters may or may not be behind their name.

Now, you made an interesting comment here that I find may illuminate your way of thinking.
i have enrolled on a course before actually but i never completed it and dropped out. There were parts of the course which I didn't like and weren't relevant.
Fascinating!
Please correct me as I guess at what this statement may mean.
Are you saying that you did not complete your first course in Electronics? Did you have this course in High school, or a college, or at a University? I am trying to gage the difficulty.

Now, an important question for you. What did you feel was not relevant in your Electronics course? I wasn't there and I am curious as to what they included in the curriculum that didn't belong. What other courses were you taking with the Electronics course? It is not a standalone type course.

-Chris

Professor smith said:

Very strange.

I didn't like doing 1,000s of sit-up either, but it IS part of the journey. I am a proud 2nd Degree Black Belt because I did things which I THOUGHT were irrelevant. Guess what? They weren't.

We are often in a rush to an unknown destination, missing the little things that give us insights and the pleasure of discovery along the way.

You have much to learn young Padawaan.

Ron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.