Total amount of audio power worldwide (Watts)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A bit of a silly question, but google didn't help me.

I am interested in the total amount of electrical audio power installed on earth - speaker or amplification (Watts).

If anybody knows any similarly silly facts, please let me know, e.g. bass per capita, worldwide annual spend on amps/speakers etc

No!

Take the amount of energy used to design, mine, manufacture, ship and setup. . . .
and it won't even approach the amount of energy it will produce in its life.

Man can make anything, but the process will be grossly inefficient.

One acoustic watt is a real lot of noise. But at 0.4% to 3% efficient transducers
it takes a real hell of a lot of electrical watts.

http://books.google.com/books?id=-5...wpDaAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3

OK.

World population is ~ 7 thousand million.

Some people have no amplification. Some people have hundreds of watts. The value per head is between zero and hundreds.

There are ~ 600 million cars worldwide, the average car radio has 25W.

Therefore the average per capita installed wattage is 25 Watts and the total installed worldwide audio capacity is on the order of 175 Gigawatts.

w

wakibaki said:
There are ~ 600 million cars worldwide, the average car radio has 25W.

Whatever it is, it's still not enough for one teenager's dream sub amp in his Honda Civic

The car average around here is probably closer to 100W,or more.
Lots of boomin Hondas.. :rolleyes:

Anyways,my estimate is: "A Metric A**load"
I think I have a couple KW worth of various amp's myself.;)

DigitalJunkie said:

The car average around here is probably closer to 100W,or more.
Lots of boomin Hondas.. :rolleyes:

Anyways,my estimate is: "A Metric A**load"
I think I have a couple KW worth of various amp's myself.;)

Someday, dare I say, there's going to be some kind of mass hearing problem with the population of owners of those systems. Either their ears will have no response to anything below 400Hz or they will develop Klauseån-Fröjße condition, similar to some unfortunate patients of duo-millenaria-auricalrité-maximus test. who knows.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.