good d.i.y speaker cable ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Telephone Indoor Distribution Cable

Karma,
10 pair or 20 pair telephone cable works a treat - very low series inductance, and all the copper you could ever want.
You can get it for $2/metre at electrical wholesalers, or for copper price at metal recyclers.
It takes time to terminate neatly, but gives very fine results.
There has been discussion about this previously.

Eric.

hmm

ill try it i just finished making cat5 not to shabby

Attachments

• picture 481.jpg
    picture 481.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 744
Star-Quad Cat5 Speaker Cable

Plain Cat5 is good but you will get better results if you first untwist all the pairs and retwist them in a star-quad configuration. First, compared to twisted pairs, a star-quad has a lower inductance and better noise immunity. Second, each of the pairs in a Cat5 cable has a different twist pitch. This is done intentionally to reduce cross talk between the independent data channels that are normally carried by each pair. When used as speaker cable, each pair is caring the same electrical signal and summing the signal after it has traversed multiple different paths, each with a different length and LCR, results in an audible smearing. I found the difference between ordinary Cat5 and star-quad Cat5 rather dramatic, i.e., not subtle. The star-quad is more coherent with better resolution and clarity.

To verify that the smearing I heard was due to the different path lengths and not just to the different geometry, I constructed a star-quad cable that preserved the different lengths of the wires as they came from the Cat5 cable. Quads made from the longer pairs of wires were twisted tighter. Then, one quad of each color was twisted together to make the final cable. This multi-length star-quad cable exhibited a similar audible smearing.

Star-Quad Speaker Cable

Prisma 4 cable versus 30 pairs

Hello

I have Prisma 4 cable to feed my Spendor BC2.
Recently I made one pair of cable with the cable 30 pairs.
One 30 pairs for the positive border and the other one 30 pairs for the negative border.
Conclusion:
high frequency: more brilliant
Midfrequencie: the voice is little more forward, it loses her weetness.
Bass frequency: more defined, tight and the (drum kit) is more alive.
Image spaciale: one can more advanced and wider.

Which one to choose??? I keep(guard) my Prisma for the way.

But for the price I would make the 30 peers .

Yves

Prisma 4 cable versus 30 pairs suite

I forgot to tell you that my 30 peers are shielded.
I try with shielded connect and not connected has the negative border of the ampli and I did not hear difference.
Cables had the same length as my Prisma (20 feet).

My system:
Turning table: Linn LP12
Arm: Linn Basik plus
Cartridge: Linn K9
CD player:Arcam 8
Inegrated amplifier: Simaudio PW3000 ( 50W / ch )
Loudspeakers:Spendor BC2 with support filled with sand and on point.
Note: All the material is hard support with point ( Target).
Detail(room) 11 x 18, 8 foot ceiling up to 18 feet.

Regard

Yves

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Did Anyone Mention Cat5?

Hi,

Although I don't consider speaker all that important...provided we're talking about no more than 3m runs, you could get adventurous and try some of these ideas:

CHRIS VENHAUS

Or do what I do, just some Kapton insulated 1mm 6N pure silver wires wires run in // for my tri-wired system.

All in all, I'd spend much more attention to I/Cs though...
And I always use solid cores no matter where or what...even for my powercords.

If you want to know what my little ones look like:

DESKADEL

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.