anatech

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I searched you before 1 month because i noticed your absence. And just now i have learnt for your disease. I know very well from such cases.
I wish to had the force for making something for you. My thought it is with you from now Chris.
May the God (in any God you believe) be with you.

Good Luck Friend

Fotios

I have been to Chris's house four times now. He is a great guy. I think about his situation, trying to find things that may help.

There is always hope. Science is advancing very fast right now. Here is one possibility:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,353636,00.html

And the lab itself:

http://www.mirm.pitt.edu/badylak/

The point of mentioning it, is that there was full nerve and fingerprint regeneration. It is possible that something may be done in the future. That future is nearer than one thinks.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi all,
Thank you for all your support and kindness. It's appreciated.

It's a privilege to be able to assist others and learn from the process. It's been my way of repaying the people who have helped me as I learned. Something that I hope everyone does as they can. This is what binds people together and makes life much more rewarding. The best part is that you don't need to be the most knowledgeable person to help someone out. Teaching also helps you understand the subject a little better, so you do learn from helping someone else out. There is nothing wrong with the phrase "I don't know" either. I think I've said that an awful lot.

So anyway, I'll be here as I can. This depends on what's going on and my energy level. I'm also betting that many of you can help me out as I investigate IEEE-488 communications for test equipment (HPIB buss). I will try to help as always, but probably not as much as I was able to in the past. Things have been catching up with me as some injuries I had in a car accident get worse, and some better. Basically, you can't slam a human body that hard without lot's of small damage everywhere. That's the problem. There is too much wrong to fix, spread out over head to ankle. There is a limit to the amount of treatment you can receive without it becoming a health risk also. It's all a balance and you don't always come out ahead.

I don't want to hear of this happening to anyone else, so the following might help. Pay attention when you drive (the guy that hit me wasn't even looking out the windshield at highway speed!) and stay alert. Use your seatbelt and do raise your headrest. I'm told that had my headrest been down, I would have died. So it's important that you use every safety device available to you.

Now, for those that can always avoid car accidents. Yes. Been there and done that. I was stopped in traffic when I was hit from behind at full highway speed. Because the guy did not hit his brakes, there was no warning to me or anyone else. There was also no way to avoid this accident either (not for me anyway). Looking out the front window would have prevented this accident. I have no idea what that guy was thinking. How many of you drive at 100 KM / Hr. without looking out the front window, on a gentle curve in rush hour? I was almost killed in 2005 simply because one person decided that he didn't need to look ahead. Should make you all think, because a similar thing could happen anywhere.

Sorry, I guess I am still a bit angry about the entire situation. Just take care, all of you. Please stay safe.

-Chris

Hey Chris,

It is so nice to see you gradually trying to get back in the saddle!

I know how much you have helped me and can't say enough thanks!

You obviously have more helping to do. (must have something to do with your last lifetime, (LOL).

Just some words of encouragement.... we are here and always look forward to your visits. Visit as you see fit and I personally hope that is QUITE OFTEN!

As far as anger goes, it's completely normal. Vent as required! (Doctor's orders) I'll always listen or should I say read!

FEEEEL Better!

Regards//Keith

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Glad to see you back here. :)

I still have your books Chris, they didn't sell at the garage sale... :joker:
Let me know when you feel up to the speaker thing and I'll drop by.

As for driving, I'm thankful everyday I make it home in one piece. The situation is getting worse all the time - more cars on the highways, faster, distractions with cell phones and such, and a complete lack of regard for anyone else. Cars cutting each other off, weaving in and out between lanes, passing on the right, you name it, they are doing it, all at high speed. I probably see a crash per day, just on my way to wherever I'm working that day.

I've been lucky. Sometimes, like in your case, it's out of your hands and no matter how careful you are, the next guy will trip you up. People, for the most part, take driving for granted and don't realize they are in control of something that is potentially lethal, for themselves and others.

Anyway, one of the things I rant about all the time.

anatech said:
So anyway, I'll be here as I can. This depends on what's going on and my energy level. I'm also betting that many of you can help me out as I investigate IEEE-488 communications for test equipment (HPIB buss).

Hi Chris,

Hope you get better soon, and best wishes for your recovery.

I spent a number of years doing test engineering in the aerospace industry, so I have worked with HPIB and writing software for it quite a lot. Feel free to ask questions, via email or whatever. It's been about 8 years since I last used it, so I'm a little rusty. A lot of what you need to do will depend on the brand of GPIB card you're using, as that will determine what functions to call to send and receive text and binary data, serial polling and so on. Also, the programming language you use is a big factor.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hey guys,
Thanks!

John, no sweat. It's not like I'm doing a lot of reading on speakers. I hope that some of the concepts in those books are of interest to you. Weems tends to think outside the box and uses what he can. This is opposed to authors who design to new drivers and build grand things. There is validity to both approaches and they assist each other.

Hi Andy,
I've had no exposure to any IEEE-488 programing at all. I did do a little Basic and Structured Fortran (on punch cards!). I do not have any software and I'm not sure what I need either. My main goal was to try and retrieve waveforms from my HP 3585A spectrum analyzer. I do have some HP software (Intuilink). The card I'm using is a Contec PCI IEEE-488.2 card. All GPIB / IEEE-488 PCI cards are way out of my price range and I just lucked into this one. It still cost me well over $100 and I had to download all the software and manuals from the manufacturers web site. I will be loading the NI driver next as this sems to be more supported. The Contec driver is probably for software development. I also picked up a number of cables. I figure that I may as well connect other HP instruments together in order to leverage my investment. I can use this to set up for procedures, just to make life easy for me some day.

-Chris

Conrad Hoffman has some experience using the Prologix GPIB-USB Controller. It's a bit pricey, however. I have yet to interface it to my HP Network Analyzer.

I got rear-ended by a gal on a cell-phone as I turned left onto our street -- she was going about 35 mph -- the tailgate on my MB wagon never worked right and I only had a mild concussion. She totalled the front end of her Dodge Van.

anatech said:
I've had no exposure to any IEEE-488 programing at all. I did do a little Basic and Structured Fortran (on punch cards!). I do not have any software and I'm not sure what I need either.

I guess the first thing is to go through the programmer's guide for the card and see what programming languages they support. I don't recommend Fortran, as it's extremely cumbersome with text strings. I doubt that any cards support it anyway. Text strings are what you'll send to the instrument to control it. I would recommend MS Visual Basic (VB), as working with strings in VB is easy, and the learning curve is short. The only possible hangup with VB is that Microsoft is changing it all the time, so you need to make sure the version supported by the software that comes with the card is the version you have.

You'll need a software development tool (programming language with development environment). MS has the Visual Studio Express products, which are free, but I have not figured out what limits they impose and if that will affect you.

My main goal was to try and retrieve waveforms from my HP 3585A spectrum analyzer. I do have some HP software (Intuilink). The card I'm using is a Contec PCI IEEE-488.2 card. All GPIB / IEEE-488 PCI cards are way out of my price range and I just lucked into this one.

Can you post a link to where the documentation for the card can be downloaded so I can have a look at it? There will usually be a driver, which allows the language support software to communicate with the card. The language support software communicates between the VB code you write and the driver for the card. I'd recommend only installing the driver recommended by the card manufacturer exactly as specified by the manufacturer. I have seen some cards for which no driver is required.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jack,
Yeah. Some people are ill equipped to deal with more than one thing at a time. I miss Darwin some times.

Hi Andy,
The web site is http://www.contec.com . That's the English site. They only seem to list one card type there and I just downloaded a newer driver.

Any help you can give me on this would be wonderful Andy. I find that learning new things has been extremely difficult after the accident and so I've been basically running on what I used to know since that time. Reading comprehension (heck, just reading) is much more difficult now.

I will check out your link too (thank you). My bench 'puter is running XP right now. I may go to some flavour of Linux if XP can't be supported in the future. I will not install Vista on anything that does real work.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.