Preferred Characters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Gromanswe,

Jay said:
Halojoy,
I have checked the www.gameknot.com rules, and noticed that the minimum time threshold for 1 move is 3 days.
The problem is I can feed each move to a computer software, so that basically my opponents play with my computer.
Move time can be set to 3-14 days per move.
It is called correspondence chess. In old days they wrote postcards.
It is also in Gameknot rules not to use computer programs.

That is not fair, to play using chess programs.
Besides, what is the fun?
Suppose you win - proves only you can use your computer.
Do you get any glory? How would you feel?

I guess you are very good if you can beat computer programs.
But there are probably some bad chess programs around.

/halo

I don’t think there’s such a strong DNA transfer from our great great grandparent so that the ancient situation apply to us now.

There is still enough DNA transfer to make our ear behave as it does.
We recognize the DIRECTION of a sound before anything else (pitch, harmonic composition etc). And this is something we still have in common with our ancestors.
It is just our modern society that makes us using our eyes more and more and our most precise sense organ less and less...... One of the main reasons is the heavy acoustic pollution that surrounds most of us nowadays (and this is including unwanted background music !).

One of the main reasons that wideband drivers are preferred by some listeners, is their high intrinsic temporal precision (even of the cheap ones !!!).

some interesting links: http://www.manger-msw.de/en/produkte/index.html

and
http://www.celticaudio.co.uk/technical2.htm

Regards

Charles

BTW: When John Watkinson is talking about "analog computing" used for crossovers, he means subtractive crossovers.

It's Only A Game?????

halojoy said:

That is not fair, to play using chess programs.
Besides, what is the fun?
Suppose you win - proves only you can use your computer.
Do you get any glory? How would you feel?

Well, you may want to disagree. But I dare to say that to most of Gameknot players, doing a little cheat (e.g. by using the program when you are in a difficult situation) is preferable than loosing a game.

phase_accurate said:
There is still enough DNA transfer to make our ear behave as it does.
This thread of gentical discussion and the roots of human race
is surely getting very deep.

I am sure likings and dislikings of different sounds
are BOTH inherited through evolution, (this is a part 99% of us have in common)
and formed for each individual by our own experience of environment.
We are mostly formed when young, as babies, in mothers womb
and when we are in ages upto teenage.

But even later we recall good/bad memories when we hear an old song.
I can still get a VERY SPECIAL feeling,
when I play those records,
me and my first love played. We were both 15 years old.
Very much in love.

That music will be with me very strong ALL MY LIFE, it seems.
It is so strongly giving a flashback association
within my emotional brain center.

/halo - nothing like the first - true and (comparatively)innocent love :cool:

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Jay said:
Hmmm, I think I just followed the same logic of thinking. People with little advantage over their neighbors will begin to survive and pass their traits onto their offspring, right? As a result, after several generations the human adopt desirable traits, right?

You got it. :D

Originally posted by Jay
In the era where human is close to monkey...
I did can follow the logic behind such idea. The whole message is even simpler: evolution, traits heritage. Nor I believe... that Adam and Eva were both monkeys.

I purposely constructed the scenario to avoid the question of evolution/creation. You do not have to believe that humankind had any apelike ancestors at all to understand what is going on.

All you have to do is realize that humankind has not always had advanced weapons, farming, and an abundance of food. All you have to do is realize that for many years, all of humankind lived as many primitives tribes in remote parts of the world still do-by going into the forest and foraging for food, to be brought back to the family to ensure their survival for a few days more.

At such times, the ancient hunter gatherers had to rely on acute hearing and a sense that danger is nearby. A lone man with a single spear is not in much position to repel a lion or a bear. It is best to vacate the premises immediately. A split second can mean the difference between ending up as a bear's lunch or becoming a survivor who recruits several comrades to come back with several spears to kill the bear. When your life is in the wild, these things happen.

There is a perfect example of this process that came to light in the twentieth century in America, when the skyscrapers began to be built. Needless to say, such structures put a premium on construction workers with a very good sense of balance.

It was found that certain tribes of American Indians made very good construction workers who bounced around the girders and crossbeams of the high floors with barely a second thought. The reason? Those particular tribes lived in the mountains of the West, where for many, many generations they traversed treacherous mountain trails with steep slopes on the side. Those ancestors were no more apelike than present day people. They had to traverse these slopes to get around. Those members of the tribe born without a great sense of balance simply never got old enough to pass on that undesirable trait. Consequently, the children born to that tribe have an innate sense of balance.

So you see, Jay, evolution/creation has nothing to do with it. We are descended from people who had to survive and struggle when life was not easy, nor food abundant, and who had to use every means at their disposal merely to live another few days. Therefore, we can expect such things as hearing and our other senses to be tailored to reflect that very real fact. We hear better in the midrange because that is where most of the important sounds in the wild are located, and we feel an emotional sense in low frequencies because those are sounds made by large heavy things that can attack and kill us.

kelticwizard said:

So you see, Jay, evolution/creation has nothing to do with it. We are descended from people who had to survive and struggle when life was not easy, nor food abundant, and who had to use every means at their disposal merely to live another few days. Therefore, we can expect such things as hearing and our other senses to be tailored to reflect that very real fact. We hear better in the midrange because that is where most of the important sounds in the wild are located, and we feel an emotional sense in low frequencies because those are sounds made by large heavy things that can attack and kill us.

“We hear better in the midrange because that is where most of the important sounds in the wild are located”, and

“we feel an emotional sense in low frequencies because those are sounds made by large heavy things that can attack and kill us.”

Those 2 statements were supposed to be independent right? Well, dependent or independent, one may found that those 2 statements are contradictory one to each other.

Firstly, sound wave is totally consisting of physical metrics that is independent of human ears: Frequency (Hz), Intensity (dB). Beside air, the wave does transferred through mediums that are dependent with human body. It is the structure of human ears (and may be the structure of neurons and such that transfer electrical energy to the brain, which to large extent is above human knowledge).

Now, in what frequency do important sounds in the wild are located? What is the frequency created by heavy things that can kill? Tiger footsteps? Can we draw any logic that this frequency triggers hearing sensitivity? (For example, by evolution, ear and receptor nerves structure is such that it is suitable for transferring this frequency with minimum loss?)

It is true that human ears are most sensitive to middle frequencies. But how can we correlate with low frequencies created by musical instruments? I don’t know nothing about adrenaline. But I’m agree that adrenaline is usually related with scary things. One simple “imagination” can drive us scared. In many cases, we cannot see any external (physical or mechanical) contacts with human body that stimulate the blood pressure within our head. Is it just probably that low frequency (with enough pressure), in it’s own way physically present a pressure to the blood through vibrations? I DON’T KNOW.

See? It was not that I couldn’t follow your logic. It’s just not enough logic to draw a meaningful conclusion. :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.