Old Speaker question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everyone,

I have some old Utah speakers from the 70's that I got at a garage sale for a song, and I've been listening on them for a few months and I like how they sound.

I wanted to replace the 12" woofers they have, as they pops a bit at high volumes. Whats a good driver at a good price?

Also, how could I improve the overall sound of the speaker?

Rebuild the crossover? if so, how?

Thanks,
Cxr

Howzit going?

I am not familiar with Utah speakers, but:

>It may be that the speaker surround (the flexible material all around the edge of the cone) has become stiff, limiting the range of cone movement. I was going to replace drivers on some flea-market Advent bookshelf speakers when I learned about surround rebuild kits at Partsexpress.com. It's a fun and not-difficult little task to replace surrounds, and worked perfectly.

The crossover was designed for the particular drivers in the speaker. You didn't say if it's a 2-way or 3-way. If a person changes drivers, there is software available to design crossovers. I am not the guy, but plenty of people do this. Partsexpress has soft'we, too...

I would tend to accept whatever limitations of your 70's speakers, and enjoy them as is (except for the 12" issue).

Happy Holidays!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.