Nagra 4.2 Recorder

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

I have one of these recorders and have been working on it off and on the last few years. The equipment is working correctly now, I have a manual for it and all that remains is some cosmetic work and an external powersupply as I'm not keen to buy another set of 12 D-cells.

I found several generic 24V powersupplies for this machine at between US$175 to 195 on the 'net but there are so many powersupplies lying idle around here that I'm thinking of using one of them.

Here's the question: I know the 6- pin config but the connector is described as a "tuchel" type. Is this the same as "din?"

As mentioned, there are 5 pins and a 6th in the centre. These are numbered from 1, clockwise to 5.

1=-batt Negative pole of battery compartment
2=+batt Positive pole of battery compartment
3= Pilot playback: Pilot playback output
4=Speed correction: Tape Speed correction input
5=External -12 to -30: Input for external powersupply -12 to -30V Negative pole
6=-10R:-10V stabilised voltage output during record, 1 max 100mA (Centre)

The manual says if the battery compartment is loaded with the full complement of cells, these can stay.

The generic unit (from Remote Audio) is specified for the 4.2 and its specs are 60W 24V DC Power Adapter and is fitted with the correct 6-pin Tuchel connector, as well as being suitable for 100 - 240V, 50 - 60Hz.

One of the 'idle' regulated powersupplies I have here is adjustable by switch 3V, 6V, 9V and 12V. Its input is correct @ 220V - 50Hz and its power rated at a stable 23W. Current is 1200mA 14.4VA

Since the Nagra appears to be operable at 12V, do you think it's possible to use my 'idle' powersupply described above, provided I carefully check for correct polarity first?

I should be able to find the correct male 6-pin connector for the Nagra's EPS input socket locally from RS and can easily make up a little intermediate box for any of the powersupply's output jacks.

I'm a bit in the dark with the 4 remaining pin sockets in the Nagra's EPS socket, as I'll have one + and one - wire carrying 12V @ 1200mA.

Or do you think risking the Nagra's health for US$175 is not worthwhile messing about with my existing powersupply?

bulgin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.