What about radiation?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have removed my dect telephone because i suspected all my audio equipment suffered from the radiation of the all penetrating 2 Ghz modulated on a 100Hz frequency. I discovered some other facts with that: my tinnitus/earnoise allmost dissapeared, had a decreased number of migraine's, felt "better".

That made me think, and i bought a radiation meter, allso because i talked about it with a collegue and she told that her brother makes and sells those rad meters. That guy also knows the radiation from dect, GSM, wifi/bluetooth, GSM transmitting antenna's, and the newer UMTS antenna's is not that healthy as our government here say. (first the dutch government say it's harmless, but a week later they declared it is not advised to place an UMTS antenna near kids school's. Economical fact: they sold the UMTS-frequencies here for 2.7 billion euro's, so won't say anymore that the radiation in bad for health now)

Well, now i have the meter i can trace any radiation source, and i discovered that my neighbour dect is right standing right to my inner separating wall (i live in a double house under 1 roof) and i know now the advised minimum levels of radiation is exceeded. (for best function of our human body, to relax from radiation-stress in your own home)

I must say since my new neighbour is moved in near me, and stuffed his house full of wifi, dect telephones, and 4 or more GSM phones (they have 3 youngsters) i am suffering more from strange health complaints. Also my wife is has certain healt-complaints, and my youngest doughter of 6 has a mental development-disorder and has medication for that. Btw, she sleepes right above the neighbour's dect. Within a week or two i will install a digital photo printout with metalised foil behind it of 2.3 X 1.5 meters to shield some radiation, i am forced to do that because after several kind request's my neighbour still doesn want to remove his dect. Cost's me about 300 euro's.

Maybe these items health & domestic radiation are not related to eachother, but i still think the radiation isn't helping it to the good. I think that all radiation sources from nowadays will be multiplexed on eachother, and we here in this world are creating a big & not recognised problem, maybe just like asbestos.

Any comments welcome.

tubee said:
I have removed my dect telephone because i suspected all my audio equipment suffered from the radiation of the all penetrating 2 Ghz modulated on a 100Hz frequency. I discovered some other facts with that: my tinnitus/earnoise allmost dissapeared, had a decreased number of migraine's, felt "better"....snip...

Any comments welcome.

Perhaps the answers you seek are here:
http://www.orgone.org/articles/ax9kelley1a.htm

or here:
http://www.asc-alchemy.com/guide.html

or here:
http://www.politicalvideonews.com/view_news_link.php?nlid=44147&p=1

Live long, and prosper!

I_F

Might make sense...

From what I've read any frequency between 2 and 3 Ghz is definitely not good for you in large doses or long term. Your Microwave oven runs around 2.6 Ghz, so long term exposure to these frequencies may explain your health problems, even at low wattages (under 1 watt).

As a radio transmission technician and a health and safety representative I have looked at this in great detail.

It is most important you specify the type of radiation and understand the affect of each type.

My conclusions: They haven't proven radio energy is safe. The levels encountered in modern cities are many times higher than natural background levels so we don't know what the long term effects are. It is sensible to minimise exposure.

They also haven't proven those pain releiving magnetic bracelets or underblankets are safe. The health benefits are not proven either. Have a look at some advertising material from early last century, people were smearing radium cream on their faces for supposed health benefits!

I'd be more concerned about the low frequency electromagnetic radiation from the transformer in the clock radio next to your bed or high tension power cables up in the air.

The radiation pattern of mobile phone towers is directed out in a fan with a slight downtilt, usually about 5 degrees. It is very directional. There will be less radiation right under the tower than there will be in an office block 200m away. I'd prefer the mobile phone tower to be in the middle of my child's school than 100 m away in the carpark of a business.

On the other hand there are areas in Iraq and Iran where the NATURAL background levels of ionising radiation are many times greater than the town of Chernobyl. People have lived there for thousands of years with no ill effects, the cancer rate is not elevated there.
Airline stewardesses and pilots get the equivalent radiation dose of 1100 chest X-rays per year.

shielding EMF

I have removed my dect telephone because i suspected all my audio equipment suffered from the radiation of the all penetrating 2 Ghz modulated on a 100Hz frequency. I discovered some other facts with that: my tinnitus/earnoise allmost dissapeared, had a decreased number of migraine's, felt "better

.....................................................................................................................................

I have been studying the electromagnetic field or waves shielding and absorbing problems more than 10 years , As my experience:

the radiation from dect, wifi/bluetooth, GSM mobile phone, (0.9G~1.8~1.9GHz), microwave oven (2.45GHz) etc. all are higher than 1GHz microwave frequency band, you must use power density meter ( µw/cm²) or field strength meter (V/m) to measure it ! 10 to 40µw/cm² seems harmful to health.

You can use : metal foil/metal mesh/ stainless fiber fabric barrier curtain shielding the electromagnetic field or waves ! less than 0.2mm thickness (like paper) can shield most of the energy.

Most of the microwave radiating energy cannot penetrate matal foil as thick as 0.2mm, even mesh will function as good as foil.

The path of microwave radiating will go strightly from source to you, so any metal sheet/mesh put betwween it , will possible
reflect it back to source direction .

But you also need to check Magnetic flux density by GAUSS meter,
some kind of disorder head ache and healthy problems may be caused by this low frequency low energy but long period exposing to such circumstances.

It is difficult to shield or absorb magnetic field, Keep away from it!

Hope can help you to shield Electromagnetic field and waves!

Best Regards

TJL at Taipei

The ISM Band around 2.5GHZ is set aside for unlicensed use because it's useless from all of the microwave oven leakage.
Radio transmitters designed for use in the band don't have many design limitations apart from limiting their power to 100mW.
Of course having many of these nearby all attempting to communicate in a high density urban environment is going to have significant energy content.

Many people get headaches from mobile phones. It could be the radiation or it could be the way they hold their head when they speak on the phone, It's so hard to prove anything.

Minimise exposure to a point you feel comfortable with. There's no proof that it's harmless. Start the microwave and don't watch it like a television, walk away. Don't spend hours on a mobile phone.

Around here safe exposure levels are based on the microwave oven heating effect only. For trained people it's a temperature rise of 0.1 degrees celsius. For the general public it's a lot less, about 2% of that I think. I can't remember exactly. The standard has been in a state of flux for about 5 years. The interesting thing is our standard specificly excludes "portable equipment". If the typical mobile phone on the limits of it's range was "fixed equipment" you would not be allowed to touch it. Don't let your children speak on a mobile phone or long range portable phone for extended periods.

There is not now, nor ever will be, proof that anything is "harmless". That's just not the way it works. If enough studies show some connection, then we can say something about risk. In the meantime, there's little downside in minimizing exposure to RF fields. I'm a complete skeptic on harmful effects from magnetic fields, at least the ones we're commonly exposed to, but if you want to try and minimize exposure to those as well, which is probably harder, it certainly won't hurt anything. It is important to use good descriptions, as ionizing radiation is very different from e-field radiation and h-field radiation. Actually I tend not to use the term radiation at all, unless talking about the former.

Thanks for all replies, much appreciated.

Thanks I F for links.

Here is a picture of a field analizer,the FA 306, i use an allmost similar FA 300 with some smaller frequency range (Electromagnetic 1.7 to 2.5Ghz) It measures also Electric low frequency in V/m, and magnetic low frequency in uTesla
fa306small.jpg

It reads in mV/m and has a table to derive it to uW/m square. It advises; Over the day lower than 20mV/m is allright, at night the maximum healthy level is only 6mV/m.

Well mr. Anonymous, my collegue also uses most of the now available wireless stuff, and sleeps with a cellphone under his pillow.

I could not sleep with the electric field of the two small halogen transformers, after pulling the mains plug i sleep better (4 years ago discovered that)

I understand they tested if microwave, dect and so equipment for heat built up in a human body, but they didn't test if all our tiny small electrical signaled neurological (endocrynial) processes/synapses where influenced by EM radiation.
It is told there are telephone-companies who keep the investigation test results for their own, refuse to release the results because it reveiles a lot of important information on this particular matter.

I did some experiments with the Analizer, found out a 1 foot thick brick or concrete wall transmitts allmost all of the dect energy. If i put my own 1.8 cm thick flesh and bone hand between source and meter-antenna, the display energy level reduces allmost 80%! Flesh is soft and very absorbing to EM energy (@ around 2.4 Ghz)
To test materials for screening found that metalised plastic foil did a rather good job (ESD bags) even when it was translucent. I will buy some cheap gold-silver insulation foils (survival outfit blankets) and tack that behind the poster, maybe 2 layers.

I seldom use the GSM, only if i have to, and refuse to use it inside a car, the faraday cage shields and thus the cellphone increases output power to get connection.

I find it very annoying we all have to suffer from the business man his convenience, he wants to send his order right away to his firm, even when he is sitting 10 foot under the ground with a steel/conrete building above him. It is possible to create a sensitive antenna/receiver system (like GPS systems, it could trace a bicycle lightbulb power source on 1000 km) for that purpose but instead we spit a relative high energy into our own living environment. It is so important to ask our wife what washpowder we actually have to buy.

I think you are making a mistake. Correlation is not the same thing as causation. Just because you can measure something with your meter does not imply that the thing you are measuring is the cause of your problems. Billions of people have been living with cell phones, microwave ovens, etc. for decades and suffering no ill effects. That fact alone should tell you that what you are experiencing is likely caused by something else- maybe anxiety related to rapidly changing technology you don't understand or something else.

On the other hand, you may be that one in 5 billion individual that is for some reason genuinely hypersensitive to low strength alternating magnetic fields. The best thing you can do is live in a Faraday cage and wear aluminum foil hats when you venture outside.

"I find it very annoying we all have to suffer from the business man his convenience, he wants to send his order right away to his firm, even when he is sitting 10 foot under the ground with a steel/conrete building above him. It is possible to create a sensitive antenna/receiver system (like GPS systems, it could trace a bicycle lightbulb power source on 1000 km) for that purpose but instead we spit a relative high energy into our own living environment. It is so important to ask our wife what washpowder we actually have to buy."

Wow. You really need to lighten-up!

I_F

I_F good point, measuring something does'nt mean it is harmful, maybe i have to loosen-up on this.

I am not afraid of new technology, in fact i like new stuff, if they are beneficial. For the fun a color display on the phone is nice but not neccesary. On the other hand i like my very catchy accelerated 3D desktop effects on my computer :D
In our western world we now can choose 7 or 8 providers, every provider must have it's own network, the providers only differ slightly, one could be 0.1 cents cheaper as the other. All a matter of choice. You can choose 7 types of peanut butter, i like 2 or 3 good ones, rest is rubbisch. So why not 2 very good networks? I live in a reasonable uncrowded part of Holland, but even every small town has a gsm-antenna with at least 6 receiving/sending elements on top of eachother. They drilled them first on our 14 century monuments, but that is prohibited by now. And the number of antenna's will only increase, at this moment about 70% of the UMTS here is installed. The horizon look is not getting more beautiful with those antenna's. For what?: Be honest: where are most of talking about on a cellphone. It's allmost all like, "i am here where are you" or the famous shop list questions.

Sorry to sound some pessimistic, but it's my point of view.

Danger?

Electromagnetic radiation has never been proven safe or dangerous. And there are very large vested interests who do not want it proven dangerous.

I'm a 56 year old electronics engineer and I have to say that it it is dangerous, I should be dead by now. I'm essentially in perfect health. But on the other hand, I will never live in a house within 2-3 blocks of large transmission lines either.

Correlation is not necessarily causation.

"Some smokers live till very old age....''

I was waiting for that comment Nordic.

I see it simple: EM radiation can be withstand when you are perfectly healthy, have an ¨positive mental life style", eat healthy stuff, vitamins & antioxidant food, drink enough water, enjoy life, then also alcoholic can be used then(not extensive ofcourse) And not to forget have sex. Very important. Further for allmost all people work is important, and satisfaction in it whatsoever.
But, in our western world we must do this, must do that, and all "appointments" must be fulfilled, very stressfull. When there is another stressful event in your life, eg death of parent, mental illness problems of you children, the resistance to illnes is deprived. I know that now. Cannonate some unwanted EM radiation on top of all over it, in special at night times, when your brittle body wants to rest. Then curious health problems can develop imo. The Em radiation is another attack to our defence system, maybe small for the healthy, maybe a big attack for the "weaker"

When i self refuse to buy a wifi or dect, no problem. But i don't want the EM radiation of my neighbour. Some say the radiation sensitive people must move to the desert to flight from radiation.
Again, technical is a lot possible, why not a good solution at last?

Chicken wire

When I once bought a house 3 blocks from HT transmission lines, I has an EMI hot spot in my workshop in the garage. I bought several rolls of what they call "chicken wire" here and lines the workshop with two layers of it. This cut my EMI by 99%.

I also used this technique for making a screened room here in California for doing EMI testing of class D amps. Yes, my cell phone still works in the room but I go from 5 bars to one bar on the display. And only one frequency gets through according to the spectrum analyzer. The attenuation is about 30db on a fully screened room.

Perhaps you could so a decorative lattice on the wall between you and your neighbor with the stuff. And it has to be well grounded.

The whole job will use perhaps $50.00 worth of material. And maybe a day of sweat.

"Chicken Wire" won't work at the very high frequencies of the new wireless equipment. But copper window screening probably will.
Years ago I worked for an antenna company and they built on the factory floor a wood framed room covered with copper window screening inside and out (no wallboard).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.