Cd frequency responce ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Beyond the obvious large pipe organ (16Hz) here is a list - I will admit I was somewhat surprised. More instruments on this list than I would have ever expected.. (Ignoring the midi stuff.)

http://www.contrabass.com/pages/frequency.html

There is no inherent lower limit on the LF response of a cd, but practically speaking most players don't go too much below 10 - 20Hz, and the rest depends heavily on microphones and studio hardware. Usable 16Hz shouldn't be a problem with most players, but speakers that can reproduce those frequencies cleanly are relatively large and expensive. IMO most LFE HT subwoofers generate multiple harmonics of the fundamental which probably isn't a good thing. In the case of a 16Hz organ note I think you are hearing the 2nd harmonic, but you can feel the fundamental if present.

In theory I suppose you can take a CD down to 0Hz, the sampling rate limits the top end to around 22kHz. I did find the following whilst surfing on sonicflare.com

"The CDs themselves are normally cut at 10Hz unless you master them not to. Though , I have never seen any mastering software that allows audio below this either, not that I have looked a lot be be honest. However, most pre-amps and other audio gear also cut at approx 10 Hz either due to that they are designed to do this to prevent damage to loudspeakers (DC kill speakers) or that they contain caps in the audio path that makes it impossible for frequencies below 4Hz to pass.
So, in essence, specially mastered CDs,CD players and amps are needed to feed this bass beast."

Other sites visited all give the response 20Hz - 20kHz.
The opening thread referred to classical records, I assume Vinyl medium, these are usually rolled off much sooner due to reproduction constraints, for example turntable rumble.

Kevin Graf said:
The upper frequency is a limit because the Nyquist police won't let us go any higher. I think that the 20 Hz low frequency is a specification not a limit. We could put a sub 1 Hz signal (maybe an almost DC signal) on a CD or a WAV file. But then, what do we do with it?

I used to have an early test CD with a sweep from 1 to 20kHz. The woofers simply moved backwards and forwards (slowly at first) until the sound started coming in at around 20Hz. So there's no limit at the low-end, just what is actually put on the disc.

It's very unlikely that any of the post-DAC electronic stages are DC coupled so there's probably several low pass stages between DAC and output. Everyone's experience will differ depending on equipment.

My experience supports the creation of CD-R's with DC but I couldn't say if they were red book compliant.

Trouble with DC is it uses up dynamic range without providing any benefit. Why would you want to?

BTW KevinK - that was a great chart on what instruments played what lowest note. A real education - thank you!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.