DIY Boombox Worklog and Partlist

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Two weeks ago, my friend and I were stuck inside working and listening to music, and it was an unbelievably nice day out. We started talking about getting a nice boombox, so we went off on a tangent and searched for boomboxes and ghettoblasters. To both our amazement there was hardly anything that looked decent. And anything that did look decent ended up being $150+, wasn't very portable and still couldn't do more than a couple watts without major distortion. We went back to work and I tucked this gripe into the back of my mind.

Last week I pulled it out, and went to work.

The boombox will be...
under $175
under 15 pounds
a manageable size
of decent sound quality
loud for rocking too
playable for 3+ hours at max volume.

Components List:

5.25in Car Speakers
Speaker Covers
amplifier this thing is AMAZING. Regardless of this project, you should own one if you own speakers. It especially likes high efficiency speakers aka 87dB/2.83V/1m and up.
Battery
Arm Strap I got my strap locally, but this thing looks nice. Or you could just salvage one from an old bag.
Rubber footpads
louvered dish
blank dish
speaker cable.... you need 2 feet of it max. find a friend with some if you don't have it.
2 d-rings to connect strap... $6
24in X 48inX 1/2in birch plywood.... $10-15 at local home depot.
can of spray paint in your favorite color... $5
wood glue... cheap

This puts me just under $175 including shipping/tax. I already had some of the components sitting around. If I wasn't so lazy, I would have salvaged more. Recycling combined with some cheaper full-range drivers and I could have easily brought this project under 150.

I already own a lead-acid battery charger/conditioner amazon has some for... $30-50

Specifications:
Dimensions: 8in X 8in X 16in
Miter joints will be used whenever possible
The back will removable for future access.
Full drawings will be up in a week. For now, this will have to do...

tada.jpg

don't laugh at my skillz too hard

I have most of the material and components now. I just need to make the time to cut and glue the cabinet.

pictures:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

more available upon request.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.