Tampa Bay Bucs, World Champions!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
being from Clearwater (part of Tampa Bay) i must say we are
all very proud of our team!

Tampa Bay is going crazy! You step outside and you can hear
people cheering up and down the block, fireworks, car horns...

what a great night!!!

Go Bucs!

-------
moe29
-------
:) :) :) :) :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
World Champions... better described as Champions of American flavoured Football... the US is certainly not the World... i'd think, based on numbers, that if you wanted to be World Football Champions, you would have to be on a soccer team.

but good on 'em... the defense won the day. And i always like the underdog.

dave

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Oh come on Dave-give 'em the title World Champs-they deserve it.

You're not compeletely accurate about it only applying to the US. The game is now being played and followed in other nations as well.
http://members.aol.com/amerfoot/afa-intl.htm

My understanding is that there is a fair amount of wagering on the National Football League in Britain, as well. And I believe they have their own leagues there, too.

In order to be called World Champs of football they have to be playing soccer? The very fact that you used the word "soccer" is a recognition of the fact that these are two different sports.

Incidentally, while we're on the subject, did you know how the word "soccer" came about? Back at the turn of the 20th Century, when American football had turned into a completely different game, European style football games were put on in America by immigrant groups, chiefly British and German. When the announcements for the game were posted in the appropriate neighborhoods, it was written as a football game between "The German-American Assoc." vs, say, the "Scottish-American Assoc.". From there, it was a short step to change "Assoc." style football into "soccer", as distinct from the American style.

Surprisingly, I have seen the word "soccer" being used by writers in England. Of course, the roundball variey is still much, much more popular over there than the pigskin type. About the only reason I could see for it's occasional use over there is that the word sounds like "socker" which is an appropriate term for when you give the round ball a good, hard kick. If the American word for European style football did not convey such a picturesque image, it probably wouldn't be used.

If someone from another country wants to label the champions of their national game as "World Champs", I say let them. Unless somebody wants to make a case that somebody in another country can play that game better, why not give the team credit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.