diyAudio Support Idea (Jason please read)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I attemped to email this to Jason and it was bounced... Here's the message that I sent...

What do the rest of you think of this idea? Is this something that you would be willing to pay for to insure that the information on this site will always be at your fingertips????

Original message to Jason
-------------------------------------

Hi Jason,

First, I'd like to say thanks for a great site!!! I've really enjoyed it
for quite a long time... You've done an outstanding job!!!

I had an idea regarding how to generate a bit of income for you/the site. I would be willing to purchase backups of the site on CD ROM just to have as an information resource... This idea came to me a couple of months ago when the site was down and I thought "oh **** what if it's gone forever". Luckily it wasn't but it still made me aware of the issue...

The idea would be to sell backups of the site on a subscription basis. Perhaps a new version every six months could be released with the members paying an annual subscription fee of $50 or $75 dollars... I don't know the total size of the site or even if you'd be willing to do this but I do think more than just myself would be interested in having this information permanently preserved for reference purposes...

This would also give you an income stream to help support the site...

Perhaps it might be worth inquiring to the members to see if they'd be willing to pay for this... I know I certainly would...

Anyway, thanks again for all the hard work and a great site!

Best Regards,

Actually a nice idea.
Wasn´t it proposed before? Can´t find it.

A diyaudio.com database with an update option?

I wonder how big this site already is. Really no idea.

If it comes to this I´d prefer a single payment for the CD(´s) rather than an annual fee and I guess that is what most would prefer.

Jens

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi!

Which email address did you send it to? I haven't checked my (home/diy) email in probably about a week.

Sounds like a great idea. Ideally the CD would be created on the fly, burnt on demand by a 3rd party, and shipped out. We do something similar at my 'day job' where we print a book on demand.

Non intrusive ways of making some money on the side while retaining the integrity and non commercial feel to the site are welcome!

FWIW there are daily "incremental" backups of the database, monthly 'fresh' backups, and everything is uploaded offsite daily.

Jason.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.