Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Everything Else Anything related to audio / video / electronics etc) BUT remember- we have many new forums where your thread may now fit! .... Parts, Equipment & Tools, Construction Tips, Software Tools......

Computer boot up problem...help!
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2007, 03:25 PM   #11
ashok is offline ashok
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the suggestions. I backed up all critical data and so if the drive crashed I'd be safe.
The current status is that a new drive was installed but for an inexplicable reason the OS didn't get installed on C drive . I'm trying to figure out what happened.
The machine however behaved properly several times ( rebooted several times ) . Then just as I thought all is well , it started having trouble again !

So back to reinstalling WinXP and making sure it's on drive C and then checking out what else could be wrong.
Thanks,
Ashok.
Old 28th May 2007, 08:36 PM   #12
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

A few more hints if they are not already given.
Bad MoBo: check for bulged caps.
CPU gets too hot: clean the heat sink and fan. (I never damaged a PC with compressed air)

/Hugo
Old 29th May 2007, 12:34 AM   #13
MadMutt is offline MadMutt  Australia
diyAudio Member

Have seen pc's load to d,f,g, etc.
Normal cause is if the pc has either a usb thumbdrive pluged in at the time of install, or if the pc has a 'baybus' expansion device.
Basically a front panel card reader.

Test/reseat the ram.
If the pc has more than one stick of ram, remove them and try one stick at a time.

Bad caps aren't always visibly crook sadly.
Sometimes the only way to tell is to pull the board out and put a soldering iron on their legs.
If it starts making noise (sizzling/hissing/popping) or smells (you'll know it when it does) then it's time to replace them.
Normally look for the caps around the power plugs and ram sockets.
Old 1st June 2007, 02:35 PM   #14
70s music is offline 70s music  United States
diyAudio Member

My advice would be yank the mother board out . replace it with a nice mother board from Asus . buy a AMD athlon 64 4000+ socket 939 they are dirt cheap this days. or a dual core 939 while they last. Your HP case might be good for the next 10 years. while at it drop 250GB H.D for those extra mp3 and videos. and replace the power supply. dont forget a nice graphic card for the PCI express slot. and say good by to those Pentium 4 room heaters. and is still much cheaper than buying a new PC. <-- OR at least you well have a pc with very top of the line components that normally not even the expensive top of the line desktop brings.
Old 2nd June 2007, 01:41 PM   #15
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 70s music
My advice would be yank the mother board out . replace it with a nice mother board from Asus . buy a AMD athlon 64 4000+ socket 939 they are dirt cheap this days. or a dual core 939 while they last. Your HP case might be good for the next 10 years. while at it drop 250GB H.D for those extra mp3 and videos. and replace the power supply. dont forget a nice graphic card for the PCI express slot. and say good by to those Pentium 4 room heaters. and is still much cheaper than buying a new PC. <-- OR at least you well have a pc with very top of the line components that normally not even the expensive top of the line desktop brings.
Since you've got a P4, that's not a bad suggestion.

If you do any Spice simulations, a newer AMD Athlon would probably speed them up by at least a factor of EIGHT.

I kicked myself for not upgrading sooner, about a year ago, when my work consisted mainly of spice simulations and I was then able to do in one day what previously took a week!

But you might as well get a new case, too, while you're at it, especially if you're also getting a power supply. Cases are very cheap, and often come with a power supply. And then you can keep your HP box intact and maybe use it for something else.

A small custom PC shop might be a good bet. They're more likely to know exactly what they're doing. Otherwise, buy all the parts and assemble it yourself. If you stay just behind "the bleeding edge", it should be able to be pretty cheap to do.

- Tom Gootee

http://www.fullnet.com/~tomg/index.html

-
Old 2nd June 2007, 03:18 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

100 per cent Tom , ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce SPP 100 ATX AMD Motherboard $134.99.___AMD Athlon 64 4000+ San Diego 2.4GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - OEM $59.99____ or dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 2.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - OEM $139.99, _Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC ATX 430W Power Supply 115/230 V - Retail $39.99,__GIGABYTE GV-NX73T256P-RH GeForce 7300GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail $79.99,_COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $44.99 . The cd rom dvd player and floopy can be used from your old HP case............And if you have kids i hope they dont like COD. "Call of Duty" . this prices are from Newegg.
Old 2nd June 2007, 08:12 PM   #17
richwalters is offline richwalters
diyAudio Member

Bit late on this one.......blue screen on pwr up....my (brand spanking new) toshiba satellite does exactly this. Only solution is to disconnect from power pack, take battery pack out and reconnect then restart. All aBit silly to have to go to all this trouble and shows how vulnerable all is.
I wonder if the processor on the new airbus hasn't actually been through this (daunting) act on either take off or landing ?

There are hosts of other glitches that MS hadn't finished with the engineering before throwing all out on the market place then wasting everyones time with downline hotfixes. Try that with the car market.

richj
Old 3rd June 2007, 03:59 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by richwalters
. Try that with the car market.

richj
cough, THEY HAVE many times over.
Old 3rd June 2007, 04:39 AM   #19
MadMutt is offline MadMutt  Australia
diyAudio Member

richwalters/70s music -
Yes indeed they do.
And they have just as much success as micro$aft.
Check out some new cars in depth and you'll see the world really is turning into a steaming heap of illconceived and 1/4 ar*ed code that should not have even been dreamt of let alone speculated on.
What makes this worse is a car is set parameter, and they still can't get it 1/2 right.

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by gootee - Tom Gootee
Tom's my hero
Tom Gootee fan number one san

*insert dragons eating ninja's here*
Old 3rd June 2007, 05:27 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Thank God the USSR was not around to fully exploit micro$aft! . But regular russians still do.

Computer boot up problem...help!Hide this!Advertise here!