Responce - spelling rant

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I didn't want to post this in an active thread because I didn't want to personally attack anybody. I don't believe that I'm the world's best speller or anything, but this has been annoying me for a while now.

Maybe it's bothering me more because Firefox now has dynamic spell-check built into the browser, or maybe it's just the time spent editing my girlfriend's thesis- but I can't hold me tongue any longer.

It's spelled R-E-S-P-O-N-S-E, response. :smash:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/responce

Somebody *please* correct me if this is the UK flavour of the word- I think everyone is just spelling it wrong.

IMO, one of the things that makes this forum so great is world wide participation. English isn't every ones first language, and I tend to cut people a lot of slack on spelling here. In the photography forums nobody seems to be able to spell aperture, and it drives me nuts. OTOH, I notice that programmers seem to be more accurate in spelling in their forums. I can't spell that well, but use the Google toolbar spellchecker on most posts.

I'm really sorry if that was insensitive to all of the folks typing English as their second language- I applaud their participation in this forum, and appreciate their knowledge and the experience they bring from all parts of the world and all areas of expertise.

I mostly meant it as a rant against folks in the US who otherwise seem to be native speakers. It's a rant, and I don't expect anything to come of it.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I know of two members, EC8010 and GRollins – there may be a lot more – being very attentive to spelling mistakes. I love it when they occasionally correct me, pointing me to the grammatically correct way of writing.
When I sporadically visit Dutch forums, I recognize your frustration. Myself, being a non-native English speaker, try to adopt a correct spelling although I’m well aware that I keep struggling with words and sentences, often deleting and rewriting complete posts before I hit the submit button. It’s time consuming but a nice exercise.
I can imagine that many people post in a rush to get their message online and don’t bother about typos and I admit that some native speakers should try harder.
Such is the fast world of today but we shouldn’t be sour about it as languages grow and evaluate constantly over time, just like our hobby.

/Hugo – Hoping for a nice response. :)

Some people just can't spell (its called dyslexia) and sometimes the spellchecking just confuses. I often find myself posting a message and then editing the mistakes straight after. If you have word blindness the change of format can often reveal things which were previously hidden.
I object to people confusing spelling with talent/ability/intelligence as there is often little relationship (though sometimes there might be)..

Shoog

Netlist said:
Hugo – Hoping for a nice response. :)

First & foremost, anyone whose native tongue is not English should be commended for their efforts to converse with it!

What I have seen many times is that on their own they will adopt the proper forms without prompting.

:smash:

Second, if you were born to English, there is little excuse for responce, prolly, recieve, seen for scene, site for sight, by for buy, etc. once you have been made aware of the proper form.

Edit -

Of course dyslexia gets a pass as noted above.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Did I hear someone taking my name in vain?

speaker said:
Second, if you were born to English, there is little excuse for responce, prolly, recieve, seen for scene, site for sight, by for buy, etc. once you have been made aware of the proper form.

Native English-speakers have a duty to write grammatically correct English in order that those for whom English is their second language can understand them. One year, I had two dyslexic final year project students and and second marked a third dyslexic student. Dyslexia meant that it wasn't merely that their spelling was questionable but that their words in the written wrong order arrived. Genuine dyslexia is excusable; lazy spelling isn't.

I am not a native speaker and I do not claim to master english, but I do often get irritated by spelling errors of surprisingly simple and common words from supposedly native speakers. However, it has struck me that very often they use a spelling that is phonetically close to the intended word. It seems those people somehow reverse engineer the spelling from the pronounciation of the word.
I have spotted similar tendencies in swedish, so it is probably not just a phenomenon in english.

Then we have all these confusing cases where we have the same word in both languages, but with a slight difference in spelling:
adress in swedish - address in english
parallell in swedish - parallel in english

or was it the other way around? :confused: :)

I can understand the occasionall typo/speeling/gramatical error.
I'm also not the best but I do try.

What burns my butt, is those, how you say, Red neck idiots, that type things in such a way that you really have to wonder if their mum and dad should've both been sterilized from birth.

Example. (my attempt at an example, NOT an actual post).

sup got mofo cracker tat aint pumpin wat fx ?

And these 'individuals' wonder why they get zero replies.

Responce

Hello All

I sometimes read the classifieds in the local evening paper.

Some years ago under "Pets for Sale" Wippet became "Whip It".

A few days ago under "Lost and Found" Boxer X stuffy, unmutted male with black nozzle.

Figuring this one out didn't take too long but I never got the "unmutted":D

I am fairly "neutral" when it comes to spelling errors as there are different education levels experienced by people. Abusive posts or similar correspondence containing spelling errors (and these often do), gets my goat:mad:

bulgin

MadMutt wrote:
What burns my butt, is those, how you say, Red neck idiots, that type things in such a way that you really have to wonder if their mum and dad should've both been sterilized from birth.

The Dialectizer translation into redneck:
Whut in tarnation burns mah butt, is them, how yo' say, Red neck idiots, thet type thin's in sech a way thet yo' pow'ful hafta wonner eff'n their mum an' Paw sh'd've both been sterilized fum birth.

as a Hacker (hckr):
what burns my butt, is those, ho\\\\////\\\\//// you asy, re dneX0r diiots, that type things in such 4 way that u really ahVe to wondar if tehir mum and dad shou7fd"v3 both beEn sterilized form birth.

Shakespeare
To be or not to be, that is the question— Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, Or to take arms against a sea of troubles, And by opposing, end them. To die, to sleep

Jive Shakespeare
To be o' not t'be, dat be de quesshun— Wheda' 'tis nobla' in de mind t'suffer De slin's and arrows uh outrageous fo'tune, Or t'snatch arms against some sea uh troubles, And by opposin', end dem. WORD! To die, t'sleep

To bad it doesn't work backwards

Regards
James

I remember reading , in one of those posts that comes to my mailbox every now and again, that English speakers are able to recognise the meaning in words and sentences as long as:
1) the words each contain the correct number and type of letters
2) each word begins with it's correct letter.

But then I tried it, and it doesn't work:
I rmebmere ringead, in oen of tseoh psost ttha cosme to my mbialxo, eryev nwo adn aaing, thta Eshling skeepars aer aleb to rigeconse teh mingean in wrosd and setnnesce as lgno as:
1) the wsord ecah cinonta teh crerotc nerbum adn tepy of leertst
2) ehca wrod binsge wthi ist' crerotc lretet.

A bear decides to go for a walk. It first goes 10 km to the south, then turns and goes 10 km to the west, then turns again and goes 10 km to the north. Somewhat surprised it finds itself exactly at the place where it started its walk. What colour was the bear?

Colour the bear consfused!!!

Actually, it's white - it's a Polar Bear.

And colour definitely has a 'u' in it. In the Queen's English, at least. :p I tend to note that effect or condition....the large number of letters missing from words, specifically street names and the like, in America.

KBK said:
And colour definitely has a 'u' in it. In the Queen's English, at least. :p I tend to note that effect or condition....the large number of letters missing from words, specifically street names and the like, in America.

Now, KBK.

We'll have to start playing favourites (favorites) when discussing aluminium (aluminum) heatsinks if you bring up letter-dropping. Not to mention the nucular (syllable transposition) problem. I said NOT to mention it! Some people in Aus are starting to agitate for vowel-free spelling as well.

So jst U B care4l now, y'hear?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.