What's on your workbench???

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I got the Hantech 8 ch scope. It does work butt the software is not that great. I have been spoiled by Picotech. Here is a screenshot of a wave, its distortion (from AP) and the distortion spectrum. The red trace is the spectrum. The square wave at the bottom is the sync from the AP. I'm not as thrilled as I hoped but 8 channels for $108 is very good. It is pretty flat to 100 KHz and almost makes it to 200 KHz but the levels are down and aliasing surfaces. There is a little peaking on squarewaves also shown. I'm torn about keeping it. Still 8 simultaneous waveforms. . .

Attachments

• Hantech cap.PNG
    Hantech cap.PNG
    119.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Hantech squarewave cap.PNG
    Hantech squarewave cap.PNG
    15.3 KB · Views: 32
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That's pretty standard looking software from a Hantech scope I had years ago. Not much changes!

I have an Agilent 54642D, then bought a Keysight MSOX3104T. I don't often need 8 channels, but these 8 channel scopes are being pushed. I have 16 digital channels and 4 analogue with the Keysight.

So Demian ... I have to ask, why didn't you get another Picoscope? Or, don't they offer a 8 channel? Can you couple a pair of 4 channel scopes?

Thanks for the design, nice to study. I don't have a call for that capability right now.

-Chris

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Picoscope- starts at over $1300 for 4 channels. Hantek $110 for 8 channels. And the goal is as a waveform and spectrum monitor for the AP (or whichever audio analyzer is in use). It turns out the Picoscope would be fine and I have it. Still even a 2 ch Picoscope 3000 is over $500, and the entry level is $200+.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, the Hantek is cheap and who knows how durable. I can still return it.
I got my Picoscope ADC 200-100 working on a Win 10 PC. Its a real challenge for a device thats designed around a parallel port. And working with an AP S1 with its PCMCIA card. I hate having useable stuff become landfill because of the march of technology. I still have an errant 10 KHz noise to chase down.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Demian, the words you speak are so true with regard to Windows.

It isn't the march of technology. In this case It is simply Microsoft messing things up. I have so many instruments and programmers I can't use on Windows anymore. That isn't the fault of the device, but rests squarely on Microsoft and their arrogance. Stuff that ran on Linux still runs happily on the latest release.

If I didn't need Windows to run a few things, I'd be using Fedora, simple as that. They don't have to change things because they got it right the first time. You never have to relearn the OS. Windows has become an industry onto itself, and the cost to the world is massive.