oscilloscope-Analog or digital

Exactly what I had read here, too bad KS has gone down that road. The amount of electronical projects that novices/amateurs are doing at their homes continues to increase daily. Seems like an odd time to alienate a customer base.

I suspect products like the Discovery are the future. If they added in distortion analysis you have a nice product package and how many of use don't have a computer sitting next to use as we are working on projects. Not to mention the ease to update products like that via software.

I think you are both correct, for my purposes a nice rehab 2ch analogue scope would be great. The issue for me is the logistics of finding one. I don't live near a large city where there is likely a brick and mortar store. Does anyone have a suggested online site you trust or ebay dealer that you would trust? The draw to the new digital scopes is a warranty and return policies if purchased from a reputable dealer if something goes wrong.

I went for the UK siglent distributor - https://siglent.co.uk/product/siglent-sds1104x-e-super-phosphor-oscilloscope/ which is Telonic (hence the Siglent and Telonic sites look identical). I know that it's not an early revision hardware frontend and that was confirmed on receiving it. Firmware is easily updated and well supported.

Hi,

@Ray Waters: At the almost same price point of the EDUX1052G You can have the SDS1104X-E plus the associate function generator SDG1032X.
That combo already is in a different, a higher class than the KS imho.
Two more channels, up to 4x bandwidth, less input stage noise, vastly more memory, and Bode II already included.
Both devices can easily be ´freed´ for higher bandwidths and considerably more functionality, advancing even further ahead of the KS.
Do KS really dare to call their scope a Digital Storage Oscilloscope? Where did they put the the storage memory? 200kB?? Come on man, that´s close to nil.
Just calculate the shortness of a signal that can be sampled at 1Gs/s sampling frequency with only a few hundred kB of memory available!
100kB are just sufficient to record 0.1ms, on one active channel that is!
Now think about zooming in on a signal by reducing the time base ... oh wait, You can see the signal curve becoming distorted because the scope just ran out of memory :cautious:(n)
Of course if You don´t implement a capable enough hardware that can shuffle around the enormous amount of data involved with large memory the responsiveness (ie, waveform capture rate) drops.
With only two channels and its vanishingly small memory the KS should at least capture alot faster than the Siglent with its 4 channels and 140x(!) memory.
Afaik this is not the case. Draw Your own conclusions.

jauu
Calvin

Thanks, Calvin, for taking the time to prepare this. I've been looking at the Siglent offerings and I came to a similar conclusion: that Siglent offers the same capabilities as Keysight and at a lower price point. I'll take a closer look at this specific combination.

Thanks again.

I have an old analogue scope I bought off ebay many years ago.
Its only 15MHz but does most of what I want.
Its a bit slow for some of the digital work I do.

I use a cheapie USB PC scope for slower digital work.
It only works up to 1MHz but captures model railway DCC data just fine which is all I want it for.
Says the guy who builds his own USB oscilloscopes. :)